The East End Trust Company was first organized on May 26, 1905. Dr. C.F. Hadley was the first president. Other founders and early directors included John Schimpf, Frederick von Nieda, and John Crawford.
The South Camden Trust Company was opened for business on April 2, 1921.
The Hotel Plaza was built at Fifth and Cooper Street in 1927, and was originally called the Plaza Club Hotel.
A collection of the 100 oldest news articles about Camden, NJ on the site!
AARON A. THOMPSON served one term as Mayor of Camden, from 1990 to 1993. He replaced Melvin “Randy” Primas.
A native of Camden, N.J., Lieutenant Kaplan was awarded the Distinguished Service Cross for extraordinary heroism in France.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was a public work relief program for unemployed men, focused on natural resource conservation from 1933 to 1942.
John Dooley was a comedic acrobat who starred on the B.F. Keith vaudeville circuit in the 1900’s and 1910s. Amongst other performances, he was part of Tydeman & Dooley.
TYDEMAN & DOOLEY were a pair of comedic acrobats who starred on the B.F. Keith vaudeville circuit in the 1900’s and 1910’s.
At a meeting in the First Presbyterian Church on 5th Street in Camden in the Autumn of 1864, Mr. and Mrs. Earl J. Atkinson inspired other dedicated, community-spirited citizens to venture into a project with them.
The Camden Home for Friendless Children was established in 1865. By the 1890’s the institution had located at 915 Haddon Avenue in Camden NJ.
The factory at 602 North 10th Street belonged to the U.S. Gasket Company at the time the 1947 Camden City Directory was compiled.