The Camden Trust traces its origin back to July 1, 1873, when the The Camden Insurance, Safe Deposit & Trust Company, first opened for business, at 224 Federal Street. Over a period of seventy-five years, the bank merged with other local banks such as the Security Trust Company, Central Trust Company, East End Trust Company, and American National Bank Bank. The bank relocated, and underwent name changes prior to achieving it’s “modern” format in 1938. At that point the institution was the largest bank in South Jersey.
The Camden Safe Deposit & Trust Company opened its new building at the northeast corner of Broadway and Market Street on October 31, 1892. A new building was built on the same location in 1928, which still stands in 2006.
The Central Trust Company was absorbed by the Camden Safe Deposit & Trust Company in 1927. After the merger, the Central Trust building at 4th & Federal Street became the home of the Equitable Beneficial Insurance Company, and remains as into the 21st century.
In 1938 the Camden Safe Deposit & Trust Company shortened its name to that of Camden Trust. By the time America became involved in World War II, the bank had acquired two more banks, the American National Bank at Broadway and Amber Street in South Camden, and the East End Trust on Federal Street in East Camden.
By the time it celebrated its 75th Anniversary, in 1948, the Camden Trust was the largest bank in South Jersey, and seventh largest in the state, with branches in Camden, Gloucester City, Haddonfield, and Blackwood.