This bank traces is roots back to June 16, 1812 when Camden’s first bank was incorporated. It was known as The State Bank at Camden, and retained that name until June 2, 1865, at which time it became a National Bank and its title was made The National State Bank of Camden. The bank did business until the late 1920s at the corner of North 2nd and Market Streets. National State Bank of Camden merged with the First National Bank under the name First National State Bank on July 1, 1922.
1927 was a significant year in the history of the bank. On July 1, 1927 another merger took place, this time with the Camden National Bank, the new and large institution now being known as First Camden National Bank & Trust Company. The President of the new institution was F. Morse Archer. A contract was awarded December 1927 for the construction of the new bank building for the First Camden National Bank& Trust Company, to be erected at Broadway and Cooper Street, at a cost of approximately $825,000.
By nature of the bank’s presence in the community, the bank’s President was an important person in Camden’s affairs. The following is a list of the bank’s President through 1950:
- William Rossell
- James Sloan
- Richard M. Cooper
- John Gill
- Israel W. Heulings
- Heulings Lippincott
- F. Morse Archer
- Henry Knepper
When the bank celebrated its 130th anniversary in 1942, directors included David Baird Jr. and Congressman Charles A. Wolverton. Another long-time director was Edward Roberts, who served for 35 years, prior to his passing in 1928.
On September 15, 1969 First Camden National Bank & Trust Company was renamed as South Jersey National Bank. On May 1, 1972 the bank left Camden and moved to 600 Kings Highway in Cherry Hill, New Jersey. A few years later, on May 1, 1974 this bank was renamed as Heritage Bank National Association and April 18, 1987 it was again renamed, and was then called best known as Midlantic National Bank. The bank shut down on September 7, 1996.