The Camden Home for Friendless Children established in 1865. By the 1890’s the institution had located at 915 Haddon Avenue in Camden NJ.
Mrs. Lucretia Read, the widow of Camden realtor William T. Read Sr. and mother of New Jersey State Senator William T. Read Jr., was very active in the affairs of the Home. Lucretia served on the Board of Managers for The Home and was later elected President. She served as President Emeritus of the Board of Managers until she died in October 1936, at the age of 83.
Shortly after World War II, in 1946, the name of the building changed to the Camden Home for Children. With its capacity of 56 children, the home eventually closed due to age and growing needs. Renamed the Camden Home for Children, the foundation operated in the 1960’s and 1970s at Kaighn Avenue and Vesper Boulevard, a facility later used by the Camden Board of Education.
When the Camden Home for Friendless Children at 915 Haddon Avenue closed sometime in the 1960’s, the building was razed, and the Camden branch of the Salvation Army built a new building at the Haddon Avenue address.
For a number of years, the Camden Home for Children organization maintained offices in Westmont, New Jersey. Although as of 2011 there is no longer any office or facility, the organization continues to serve children in need ‘behind the scenes’ and by supporting sister agencies in their missions.
The Camden Home for Friendless Children renamed to Camden Home for Children & S.P.C.C. after merger with the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. John Powell, a long-time Executive Director, passed away on August 20, 2010 and was succeeded in this position by Alan L. Stedman.