Hotel Ridgway

Southeast Corner of Delaware Avenue and Market Street

The West Jersey Hotel at Delaware Avenue and Market Street was built by the West Jersey Ferry Company in 1849. It was run by different parties through the ensuing years. Stephen Parsons operated the business from 1884 until his passing in 1890.

The name was changed to New Camden Hotel in 1909, and not long afterwards the name was again changed, this time to the Hotel Ridgway and passed to the management of the company operating the Ridgeway House at the foot of Market Street, Philadelphia. The porches and cupola which adorned the original structure were removed in December of 1911.

The Hotel Ridgway was still in business into as late as October of 1953. The discontinuation of ferry service between Philadelphia and Camden doomed the old hotel, and it was demolished not long after it closed.


Click on marker for additional details

Related Photos

Related Articles

Stephen Parsons - 1886. As per George Reeser Prowell's History of Camden County New Jersey, 1886

Stephen Parsons

Stephen Parsons owned a number of hotels in Camden and was a prominent member of...
Read More
Philip John Carlin Jr., AKA Johnny Toomey, Camden, NJ

Johnny Toomey

JOHNNY TOOMEY was the ring name of Philip John Carlin Jr., one of the three...
Read More

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.