The firm of F. A. Poth & Sons, Incorporated, of New Jersey, brewers of lager beer, sprang into existence in the year 1910, as the result of a desire on the part of the parent concern, F.A. Poth & Sons, Incorporated, of Pennsylvania to give the people of Camden a Brewery of their own, as a mark of appreciation for the generous patronage it had received for twenty-five years or more.
Camden’s brewery at Fillmore and Bulson Streets was built in 1904 by Joseph Baumgartner. The firm was known as the Camden City Brewery Incorporated until it was acquired by Frederick A. Poth, and operated by F.A. Poth & Sons Inc., a Philadelphia based brewery, in 1910. The plant was then modernized to current standards of the time. The firm was operated F.A. Poth & Sons Incorporated of New Jersey before Prohibition. During the 1920s the brewery came under the control of Philadelphia based bootlegger Mickey Duffy, and was a major source of revenue for him until his murder in 1931. Another crime figure, Edgar “Blondy” Wallace, had an interest in the brewery but apparently was out of the picture by the fall of 1934.