Mostly historical buildings of Camden, NJ
Wildey Hall was built in 1868 by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and was named for Thomas Wildey who formed the first Independent Order of Odd Fellows Lodge in NJ, in Camden, in 1829.
The Parkade Building
The Parkade Building was built in the mid-1950's on Roosevelt Plaza Park. The project was Mayor George E. Brunner's solution to the downtown parking issues.
Eagles Hall was a building built by the Fraternal Order of Eagles Aerie No 65, in 1908. The building was later used by various groups until a fire in 1968.
A History of Post Offices in Camden
Post Offices in Camden were established in 1803 and the first was called Cooper"s Ferry Post Office, under which name it continued until 1829 when it was changed to Camden. The office was first located in the hotel at the foot of Cooper street.
The Walt Whitman House
The Walt Whitman House is a historic building in Camden, New Jersey, United States, and is on the National Register of Historic Places which was the last residence of American poet Walt Whitman, in his declining years before his death. It is located at 328 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard, known as Mickle St. during Whitman's time there.
The Benjamin Cooper House
The house Benjamin Cooper built in 1734 was one of only two pre-Revolutionary War structures standing and undamaged in 2012.
Camden has had two buildings known as Convention Hall, which can get a bit confusing, and the issue gets even more confusing when you add the fact that Camden had four different armories in the years between 1880 and 1960, and one of them was also called Convention Hall! It doesn't help either that Convention Hall was also often referred to as the Civic Center during the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s, and early 1950s.
Berkley Hall was built in 1895. It stands at 601 Berkley Street, the northeast corner of 6th and Berkeley Streets.
The Towers Theatre predates moves and, in the vaudeville era, it featured its own orchestra. It was also used for labor and political meetings at various times.
Morgan's Hall, also known as Morgan Hall, was built by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The cornerstone of Morgan's Hall, or as it was originally called, Odd Fellows Hall, at the southeast corner of Fourth and Market Streets, was laid on October 5, 1848.