Category: Businesses

Camden Businesses

The Naden Store, 24th & Federal Street
Posted in Businesses

The Naden Store

Mary Naden and her family operated a furniture and home furnishings business on Kaighn Avenue at Clover Street in Camden NJ for the better part of five decades. One son, Jacob Naden, also operated a second shop in East Camden on Federal Street at 24th Street in 1930s and 1940s. Interestingly, the Camden Courier-Post reported on February 10, 1936 that he acquired the “northwest corner Twenty-fourth and Federal Streets, north side Federal Street , 20 feet west Twenty-fourth Street;” from “Velma E. Duncan et als” for only $1.

Posted in Hotels and Motels

Hotel Walt Whitman

Posted in Buildings

Towers Theatre

The Towers Theatre predates moves and, in the vaudeville era, it featured its own orchestra. It was also used for labor and political meetings at various times.

Posted in Businesses

Pekin Cafe

Posted in Banks

Broadway Trust Company – National Register of Historic Places

Broadway Trust Company
(added 1990 – Building – #90001284)
Also known as ONJH Inventory #0408190
938-944 Broadway, Camden

Historic Significance: Event Architecture/Engineering
Architect / builder or engineer: Phillip Merz / J. Henry Miller
Architectural Style: Classical Revival
Area of Significance: Economics Architecture
Period of Significance: 1900-1924 1925-1949
Owner: Private
Historic Function: Commerce/Trade
Historic Sub-function: Financial Institution
Current Function: Religion
Current Sub-function: Religious Structure

Broadway below Walnut St. Camden, N.J. J. J. BURLEIGH President ANTHONY KOBUS Vice President - WM. J. COOPER Vice President BURLEIGH H. DRAPER Secretary and Treasurer
Posted in Banks

Broadway Trust Company – March-December 1916

Broadway below Walnut St. Camden, N.J.
J. J. BURLEIGH President
ANTHONY KOBUS Vice President – WM. J. COOPER Vice President
BURLEIGH H. DRAPER Secretary and Treasurer

Posted in Buildings

Morgan Hall

Morgan’s Hall, also known as Morgan Hall, was built by the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The cornerstone of Morgan’s Hall, or as it was originally called, Odd Fellows Hall, at the southeast corner of Fourth and Market Streets, was laid on October 5, 1848.