Category: Historical Accounts

Various historical accounts, texts, and reader submissions, not including News Articles, which are in another category.

Camden National Bank, 2003-11-22
Posted in Historical Accounts

The Camden National Bank

ONE of the chief elements in the material growth and progress of a community is the banking interest, and in this department of business, Camden boasts of several vigorous corporations, one of the most important being the Camden National Bank, located at Second street and Kaighn avenue. It was incorporated as a national bank in 1885, in order to provide…

THE CAMDEN NATIONAL BANK. — A movement was made shortly after the passage of the National Bank Act toward establishing a bank in the southern part of Camden, but the project was abandoned. A few years later the Gloucester Savings Institution opened a branch office on Kaighn Avenue, which it maintained til the time of its failure, 1884. In 1885 the subject of establishing a National Bank on Kaighn Avene was again discussed. Isaac C. Martindale, who had many years experience in the banking business, became interested in the movement, and Zophar C. Howell, president of the Kaighn's Point Ferry Company, and others gave the project encouraging support. Application was made on May 30, 1885, to the comptroller of the currency for authority to organize and establish "The Camden National Bank," with a capital of one hundred thousand dollars, with the privilege of increasing it to two hundred thousand dollars. The necessary permissions having been received, a call for public meeting to promote the enterprise, signed by John Cooper, Henry B. Wilson, Howard M. Cooper, William B. Mulford, Zophar C. Howell and Isaac C. Martindale, was issued and the meeting held at the office of the Kalghn's Point Ferry Company June 13, 1885, when more than one-fourth of the capital stock was subscribed. A committee then appointed ta solicit further subscriptions reported, at a meeting hold July 6th, that the full amount ($100,000), had been subscribed. The articles of association and the organization certificate were executed, and a meeting of the stockholders held on July 20th, when the following-named persons were elected as the first Board of Directors: Zophar C. Howell, Henry B. Wilson, Charles B. Coles, James Davis, Isaac C-Toone, George W. Bailey, George T. Haines, Irvine C. Beatty, John Cooper, William B. Mulford, Philip H. Fowler, Charles E. Thomas, Harry B. Anthony, Howard M. Couper, Zophar L. Howell, Herbert C. Felton, Rudolph W. Birdsell. William W. Price, is teller at Philadelphia office; Charles P. Martindale, receiving teller at the bank; Lewis Mueller, bookkeeper.
Posted in Historical Accounts

History of Camden County, New Jersey

A movement was made shortly after the passage of the National Bank Act toward establishing a bank in the southern part of Camden, but the project was abandoned. A few years later the Gloucester…

1957 - Camden Downtown, Looking Northwest over Center City
Posted in Historical Accounts

Aerial Images of Camden, NJ

A collection of aerial photos from the early 1900’s to present!

Posted in Historical Accounts

A Story of East Pennsauken: “Uncle Wes”

The Felton and Brown Families, as told to Joan Kaighn by Edward Ross, Sr., 89 years old at his home, 129 Moore St., Lenola, N.J. on March 31, 2004

Max 'Boo Boo' Hoff
Posted in Historical Accounts

Remembering Max “Boo Boo” Hoff

Although he used his involvement in boxing as a front for his other activities, boxing played an important role in Boo Boo’s life. In the late 1920s, he had the largest stable of prizefighters in the nation, and he staged boxing matches for many years at several Philadelphia sites. None of his boxers won a world championship, but several were highly ranked contenders in a period when boxing was a widely popular form of sports entertainment. Boo Boo’s stable of boxers became Max Hoff Inc. in 1928. It was the first group of fighters in the nation to be incorporated.

Posted in Historical Accounts

1890 Gloucester City Review

The day was when Gloucester was merely a rendez­vous for fisherman and boatmen ; but now it has de­veloped into a growing manufacturing city of eight thousand inhabitants, the various industries employing three thousand hands. The place has churches of all denominations, electric lights, telegraphic, mail, and express facilities. It is desirably located on the banks of the Delaware, facing the southern portion of Phila­delphia.

From Left: tillerman Bill Tatem, firemen Edward Finley, Charles Gladney, and Harry Green, Lt. Harry Anderson, Firemen George Hollins and Steward Bakley, Captain Joseph Maxwell, and driver Harry Burroughs
Posted in Historical Accounts

Hook & Ladder Company No 1

From Left: tillerman Bill Tatem, firemen Edward Finley, Charles Gladney, and Harry Green, Lt. Harry Anderson,
Firemen George Hollins and Steward Bakley, Captain Joseph Maxwell, and driver Harry Burroughs

Engine Company 1 - 1949
Posted in Historical Accounts

Engine Company 1

George B Anderson Pension - Camden NJ History
Posted in Historical Accounts

George B. Anderson – Pension

Edwin F Allen Civil War Pension Record
Posted in Historical Accounts

Edwin F. Allen Civil War Pension Record

Posted in Historical Accounts

Anthony Alfano Eulogy

Note: Loren Tobia, news director at WTVH in Syracuse NY, delivered this eulogy at the funeral of…

Posted in Historical Accounts

Wilson Adams – Obituary Program

Wilson Ephraim Adams was born November 12, 1935 to the late Everett and Emma Carter. He was the devoted husband of over 50 years to Elizabeth E. Brown Adams. He was a life long resident of the City of Camden, attended Camden public schools and Bordentown Manual Training Industrial School in Bordentown, NJ.