Category: Historical Accounts

Various historical accounts, texts, and reader submissions, not including News Articles, which are in another category.

Blue Coal Pavonia Ice and Coal
Posted in Historical Accounts

Heating Your House with Coal

Do you remember the center grate or grille usually between the living and dining room. This was the only heat grille in the house and it didn’t work well.

Front Row left to right: Frank Senatore, Willie Guidotti, Anthony Bezich, Pros. A.D. Bigley, Al Scarduzio, Dominick DiBart, Dominick Caruso, Isiah Steinberg. 2nd row (and those behind that row): Jerry Banks, Bill Eisenberg, Ed Kitlas, Harry Slattery, Harris Berman, Bill Reeves, Jerry Cohen, Tony DiMaggio, Capt. Patrick Carr, Steve Robinson, Chief Bill Large, Sam Natal, Capt. James Large, Franz DeNie, Harry DeVore, Joe Carmen, Vince Wall, Fred Block, Luis Rodriguez, Bill Kelly, Estel Brown, Charles Cohen, Tom Mitchell, Tom Stuebing, Tom Schules 3rd Row (and those behind that row): Bob DePersia, Ginger Horner, Fran Conniff, Sue DiMaggio, Alice Palumbo, Doris Logan, Clare Sylvestro, Celia May, Caroline Migliaccio, Jo Sosa, Michele Thomas, Alice Adams, Mary Didio, Sue Weisenfeld, Virginia Roberts, Betty Greene, Charlene Dyer, Ira Back 4th Rowe: Jim Jackson, Joe Perry, Walt Haver, Leonard Dryer, Frank Werner, Bill O'Brien, Vic Sarubbi, Al Malloie, Charlie Weber, Joe Price.
Posted in Historical Accounts

Camden County Prosecutor’s Office, June 1972

Front Row left to right: Frank Senatore, Willie Guidotti, Anthony Bezich, Pros. A.D. Bigley, Al Scarduzio, Dominick…

The “Tony” Alfanomen, rated as nothing more than average at the season's opening, turned into a fine, fighting quintet, and roared through the South Jersey Group IV League like a hurricane. For the first time in a decade, a team went through the Group IV League undefeated. Camden did it. When they routed Collingswood for the second time, 63, 52, they finished Group IV competition with an 8-0 record, and a championship tucked under their belts.
Posted in Historical Accounts

Anthony Alfano Basketball Yearbook Page

Corky Henson Ducky Birts Ken Fowler Sonny Herman Gerald Davis Monk Welrauch Coach Anthony Alfano T. Bone…

Woodlawn 4-3976 4 Point Bar Jumbo Sandwiches : Liquor Store Haddon Avenue & Federal Street Camden, New Jersey
Posted in Historical Accounts

4 Point Bar Advertisement

Woodlawn 4-3976
4 Point Bar
Jumbo Sandwiches : Liquor Store
Haddon Avenue & Federal Street Camden, New Jersey

Man of the Year, Frank A. Abbott
Posted in Historical Accounts

Veteran Boxing Association, Ring 6, Banquet Program

Veteran Boxing Association Banquet Program – April 8, 1958
“I’m going to be another Johnny Dundee.” Thus spoke an Italian teenager a few years ago.

Posted in Historical Accounts

Camden National Bank – Bank Directory 1916

FRANCIS C. HOWELL, President
HERBERT C. FELTON, Vice President
ELIAS DAVIS Cashier

Photo taken 5-20-1871 in front of the Friendship Engine & Hose Company No.1 of Chambersburg, PA. The steam engine on the right has just arrived after being purchased from Millville, N.J. This apparatus was originally purchased by the Independence Fire Company No.3 of Camden in June 1864. It was a class two Amoskeag steamer bearing serial No. 92. Independence sold the apparatus to Millville in 1869.
Posted in Historical Accounts

Inception of the First Paid Fire Department in the US

On June 7, 1866 Camden’s City Council enacted an ordinance reorganizing the volunteer fire service to improve efficiency in operations. This ordinance provided for increased compensation to the fire companies (Weccacoe and Independence got $800 per annum to be paid quarterly, the Weccacoe and Shiffler Hose companies and the United States Fire Company received $200 annually). The volunteer fire companies were also directed to select a Chief Fire Marshal and three Assistant Marshals, one from each district. The selections were subject to approval by Council. The new department was called “The Fire Department of the City of Camden”. In protest of this ordinance the New Jersey Fire Company No.4 withdrew from the new, organized volunteer department.

Posted in Historical Accounts

The Year 1861 – Camden, NJ

A great Union meeting was held in the Court House in April of 1861. John W. Mickle, for whom Mickle Street and Boulevard was named, presided and resolutions were adopted calling on the Board of Freeholders and City Council to appropriate money for the equipment of persons who might volunteer in defense of the country. The first official tender of a company of uniformed and drilled militia was that of the Camden Zouaves made to the Governor on April 18,m 1861. The Stockton Cadets, Captain Edward G. Jackson and the Zouaves, Captain John R. Cunningham, were also mustered into the service, the cadets becoming a part of Company A and the Zouaves a part of Company G, Fourth Regiment.

The First Camden County Courthouse, Camden, NJ.
Posted in Historical Accounts

The Year 1848 – Camden, NJ

In 1852 a plot of ground at Second and Cherry Streets was purchased for $3200 and upon it was erected the first gas works in Camden.

Camden, NJ's first City Hall built in 1844
Posted in Historical Accounts

The Year 1846 – Camden, NJ

The First Presbyterian Church effected a permanent organization on June 25, 1846. The West Jersey Presbytery had organized the church on September 27, 1840, but owing to a lack of funds to build a church edifice the project was temporarily abandoned in December of 1841.

The First Camden County Courthouse, Camden, NJ.
Posted in Historical Accounts

The Year 1845 – Camden, NJ

A paper mill with a capacity of 45 tons of paper a month was erected on Cooper’s creek, north of Federal Street and extending from the creek to Twelfth Street, then known as Paper Mill Road.

Posted in Historical Accounts

The Year 1844 – Camden, NJ

John K. Cowperthwaite, the first Mayor of Camden, was chosen under the Act of March 9, 1844.