ROXIE ALLEN was the ring name used by Rocco Auletto, who was one of the many fine Italian boxers who came out of South Camden in the 1920s and 1930s, and was considered by some to be among the best local fighters of his era. He fought in the lightweight, welterweight, and middleweight divisions.
Robert R. Allen, Sr.
JOEY ALLEN was the name that Angelo Anthony Levecchia boxed under from 1928 through 1943. He was born in Camden, New Jersey on November 12, 1912 to Anthony Levecchia and his wife, the former Anna Maria Onorati. His father worked for as a laborer for many years at Camden Forge. Angelo Levecchia was one of at least six children, coming after Henry and Nicholas and before Lillian, Mary, and Joseph. Under the ring name of Joey Allen, he became one of the many fine boxers that emerged from South Camden in the 1920s and 1930s.
EDWIN FORREST ALLEN was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on October 9, 1872, as a replacement for David B. Sparks, who had resigned. He served as an extra man with the Hook and Ladder Company (present-day Ladder Company 1). He was resigned from his position with the Fire Department on June 30, 1873. He was replaced by John Gray. Edwin F. Allen was on occasion recorded as Edward F. Allen, however, Edwin was his given name.
C. RICHARD ALLEN was a prominent attorney in Camden County during 1920s, 1930s, and 1940s. He was a veteran of World War I and was very active in American Legion affairs, serving as Commander of Fairview Post 71 in Camden rising to Department (state) Commander. His wife Minerva was at one time was county president of the American Legion Auxiliary.
CHARLES H. ALLEN was born in New Jersey in 1847 to Mary and William H. Allen. His father was in the tin roof business, and later opened op a shop where sold stoves, heaters, and ranges. The Allen family was living in Camden’s South Ward when the census was taken in 1850, in the North Ward in 1860. He was one of three children, coming after Emma and before Caroline. Charles H. Allen married in the 1860s. When the Census was taken in 1870 he was living with his wife Emma and children Maggie and William in Camden’s South Ward. He worked as a tinsmith, most likely for his father. The 1870s do not appear to have been good to Charles H. Allen, as his wife and children were not living with him when the 1880 Census was enumerated. He had remarried, and was living at his father’s shop at 8 Market Street with his wife Ann and children Charles Jr. and Rosanna. Another son, William H. Allen, was born in May of 1883.
ARTHUR ALLEN was born in 1894 at New Gretn NJ. While serving with the United States Army in France during World War I, he volunteered to serve in America’s first tank unit, where he rose to the rank of sergeant, under the command of George D. Patton, who went on to fame during World War II.
HARRY J. ALLEBACH was born in Norristown PA on November 24, 1897. He married Consuelo Elverson around 1917. When the 1920 Census was taken he was living at 2913 High Street in East Camden with his wife and daughter Frances at the home of his widowed mother-in-law. Harry J. Allebach was then working as an electrician at a “car shop,” most likely the railroad car repair shops in the switching yard near his home. Their neighbors at 2919 High Street were Carl and Lulu Kellman. By 1924 Harry and Consuelo Allebach moved down the block to 2931 High Street, remaining at that address as late as 1943. The 1930 Census also shows brother firefighter David Humphries living at 2925 High Street with his wife and young son, future Camden firefighter David W. Humphries. Harry J. Allebach was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on February 1, 1930. He reported for duty at Engine Company 4 on the same day.
DAVID ALLABAND was born in New Jersey on September 2, 1912. His father, David S. Allaband, died three months before his birth, and his mother Suzanne passed when he was only four years old. The family had lived in Camden’s Eighth Ward, at 1654 Master Street, in 1910. Besides young David, there were two older sisters, Ida May and Elizabeth, better known as Lizzie. Ida May Allaband shows up in the 1914 Camden City Directory at 1818 Mulford Street, also in the Eighth Ward.
ANTHONY ALFANO taught at Camden High School and Cooper B. Hatch Junior High School for 34 years, from 1942 through 1976. He is best remembered as head basketball coach at Camden High, where he succeeded Al Bass in 1944, after serving as an assistant coach for two years.
MAX ALEXANDER is another in the long tradition of fine boxers to come out of Camden. He was born on…
GEORGE H. ALECK was born in Pennsylvania around 1860 to George and Christina Aleck. His family had moved to Camden by 1880, making their home at 523 North 4th Street in North Camden. He worked as a machinist at the time of the census. The Aleck family included two daughters in their twenties at the time, Amelia and Theresa. By 1887 George H. and Theresa Aleck were operating a dry goods business at 523 North 4th Street in North Camden.
A bachelor for most of his life, George H. Aleck married at the age of 62. At the time of the 1930 census he resided with his wife, Helen, at 23 East Stiles Avenue in Collingswood. He still owned the property at 525 North 4th Street in February of 1933, when it was acquired by the Delaware River Bridge Commission in order to complete the Fourth Street tunnel beneath the bridge.