Category: People

Anthony Alfano
Posted in People

Anthony Alfano

ANTHONY ALFANO taught at Camden High School and Cooper B. Hatch Junior High School for 34 years, from 1942 through 1976. He is best remembered as head basketball coach at Camden High, where he succeeded Al Bass in 1944, after serving as an assistant coach for two years.

Max Alexander, October 11, 2007
Posted in People

Max Alexander

MAX ALEXANDER is another in the long tradition of fine boxers to come out of Camden. He…

GEORGE H. ALECK was born in Pennsylvania around 1860 to George and Christina Aleck. His family had moved to Camden by 1880, making their home at 523 North 4th Street in North Camden. He worked as a machinist at the time of the census. The Aleck family included two daughters in their twenties at the time, Amelia and Theresa. By 1887 George H. and Theresa Aleck were operating a dry goods business at 523 North 4th Street in North Camden. A bachelor for most of his life, George H. Aleck married at the age of 62. At the time of the 1930 census he resided with his wife, Helen, at 23 East Stiles Avenue in Collingswood. He still owned the property at 525 North 4th Street in February of 1933, when it was acquired by the Delaware River Bridge Commission in order to complete the Fourth Street tunnel beneath the bridge.
Posted in People

George H. Aleck

GEORGE H. ALECK was born in Pennsylvania around 1860 to George and Christina Aleck. His family had moved to Camden by 1880, making their home at 523 North 4th Street in North Camden. He worked as a machinist at the time of the census. The Aleck family included two daughters in their twenties at the time, Amelia and Theresa. By 1887 George H. and Theresa Aleck were operating a dry goods business at 523 North 4th Street in North Camden.

A bachelor for most of his life, George H. Aleck married at the age of 62. At the time of the 1930 census he resided with his wife, Helen, at 23 East Stiles Avenue in Collingswood. He still owned the property at 525 North 4th Street in February of 1933, when it was acquired by the Delaware River Bridge Commission in order to complete the Fourth Street tunnel beneath the bridge.

Posted in People

William Alcott

WILLIAM ALCOTT was born in New Jersey around 1848. He was the son of Logan Alcott and his wife, the former Elizabeth Ann Bodine. The Alcotts were living in Camden as early as 1854. Logan Alcott was one of the founding stewards of Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church.

Samuel B.F. Alcott Gravestone
Posted in People

Samuel B. F. Alcott

SAMUEL B.F. ALCOTT was born in New Jersey in February, 1855 to John Alcott and his wife, the former Elizabeth Fox, most likely in Burlington County, New Jersey, where he resided though at least 1870. By 1880 Samuel Alcott had moved to Camden, New Jersey.

Samuel Alcott served with the Camden Fire Department in 1882 and 1883, as a turnkey at the County Jail in the late 1880s, and also was a member of the Camden Police Department as late as 1905. Late in life he worked as a watchman at the Camden Post Office. Politically aligned with the Democrats, in the full-contact sport that was Camden politics in the years between the Civil War and World War I, Samuel Alcott was a frequent participant.

Samuel Alcott married Rhoda Conn in 1887. Two sons, Richard Smith Alcott and William J. Alcott were born of this marriage.

Samuel B.F. Alcott passed in 1921 and was buried at Pemberton Baptist Church in Pemberton, New Jersey.

Posted in People

Charles L. Alcott

Charles L. Alcott was the son of Logan Alcott and his wife, the former Elizabeth Ann Bodine. The Alcotts were living in Camden as early as 1854. Logan Alcott was one of the founding stewards of Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church.Logan Alcott was in the coal business. The Alcott family was living at 440 West Street in 1864. By the following year they had moved to 425 West Street. When the Census was taken in 1870, the Alcott family consisted of Logan and Elizabeth Alcott and children William, Emeline, Daniel, Mary, Nicholas, and Charles Alcott. The Alcotts lived next door to Micijah and Emeline Bates. Emeline Bates and Elizabeth Alcott were sisters. George W. Bates, the son of Micijah and Emeline, 

Joseph Alcorn Tombstone
Posted in People

Joseph A. Alcorn

JOSEPH A. ALCORN was born in Camden, New Jersey in February of 1919 to Mary and William Alcorn. He was the youngest of eight children, coming after James G., William Joseph, Rose, Marie Frances, Thomas J., Genevieve, and Rita. The family came to Camden some time after 1914. By 1918 they had settled at 906 North 9th Street in North Camden, near the Highland woolen mills at North 10th and State Streets. William Alcorn was a foreman at the mill, and his two oldest sons also worked their when they became of age.

William E. Albert
Posted in People

William E. Albert

here, and came to Camden around 1865. When the Census was taken in 1870, Ernest Albert was keeping a hotel, a term then also to refer to a bar or saloon, at 619 North Front Street in North Camden. By 1880 the family also included older siblings Charles, Pauline, and Yetta, and younger siblings Harry, Louis, and Louis. Ernest Albert was still in business according to  the 1888-1889 Camden City Directory, oldest son Charles Albert by then working as a bartender.  William E. Albert appears in the City Directory for that year, living on North Front Street, and working for William McDonnell, who was operating a butcher shop at 628 North Front Street.

Posted in People

William C. Aitken

WILLIAM C. AITKEN was born around 1846. He first came to America in 1869. He moved to Camden in the early 1880s. He was active as a builder in the latter part of the 19th and early 20th centuries. He built rows of homes on Cooper Street between 9th and 11th Streets. Many of these homes were destroyed in the 1940 Hollingshead fire. He also built a row of homes on Seventh street at Woodland Avenue. At the time of the 1920 Census he made his home with wife Elizabeth at 205 Pearl Street. This home was taken in late 1923 or early 1924 to make way for the Delaware River (Ben Franklin) Bridge.

William C. Aitken later made his home at 421 Penn Street in Camden, which is now part of the Rutgers University campus. He lived very near to advertising magnate F. Wayland Ayer.

William C. Aitken died on February 14, 1933. He was survived by four sons and two daughters, nine children, and two great grandchildren. His grandson, Richard Knight Aitken, died while serving with the United States Army in Louisiana on February 17, 1943.

Bernard A. Ahlberg's signature
Posted in People

Bernard A. Ahlberg Biography

BERNARD ABRAHAM AHLBERG, former captain of industry, of Camden, New Jersey, and leader in all its departments of life, was born September 18, 1858, in Sweden, and died May 24, 1925. His parents were Abraham and Inga (Friedberg) Ahlberg. His father was of Scotch and his mother, of German descent. His father, who was a ship-builder, served in the Swedish Navy in his youth. Both parents are now dead.
Bernard Abraham Ahlberg got little schooling in his boyhood. At the age of fourteen he was bound apprentice to a coppersmith, for whom he worked for three years for a total remuneration of $2.99 per annum and his board. Somehow, he had to clothe himself and pay for his washing during that period and somehow he did it. He also studied. When eighteen years of age he came to the United States, and after spending six months in Brooklyn, New York, went on to Philadelphia, where he obtained employment and remained with the same concern for nineteen years, rising to the position of superintendent and saving his money to such good purpose that in 1902 he was able to go into business with two others in Philadelphia. He dissolved this partnership in 1907, and going to Camden, founded the Camden Copper Works on Fifth Street, at Washington, whence he moved to the present site at Nos. 559-609 South Second Street, in December of 1911. The business was incorporated under the laws of New Jersey in 1912 for $50,000 fully paid, with Mr. Ahlberg as president and manager; Dr. Wesley J. Barrett, secretary, and Walter E. Ahlberg, the founder’s son, as treasurer. These also constituted the board of directors.

Bernard Abraham Ahlberg, 1924
Posted in People

Bernard A. Ahlberg

BERNARD ABRAHAM AHLBERG was born September 18, 1858, in Sweden. He came to America at the age of 18, and moved to Philadelphia shortly afterwards, where he remained until 1907, when he came to Camden. When the census was taken in 1910 the Ahlberg family owned a home at 569 Royden Street in South Camden. While in Philadelphia he worked and attended Drexel Institute (present-day Drexel University) where he remained a student until he was 44. he came to Camden in 1907, and founded the Camden Copper Works on Fifth Street, at Washington Street. The business moved to 559-609 South 2nd Street, in December of 1911. During his lifetime his business was one of the most successful of its type in America. When the census was taken in 1920 Bernard Ahlberg and family had moved to Collingswood NJ, where they owned a home at 701 Linwood Avenue.

Besides Camden Copper Works, Bernard Ahlberg was active in many, many other business ventures, civic organizations, and fraternal groups, which are detailed in the biography below, published shortly after his death. He passed away on May 24, 1925.

Clarence Adkins 01/31/2004
Posted in People

Clarence Adkins

CLARENCE ADKINS had served in the armed forces prior his hiring by the Camden Board of Education. He served for 25 years as a law enforcement officer before retiring. A resident of Willingboro NJ in his later years, he was an active member of the First Baptist Church of Willingboro.

Clarence Adkins passed away on January 31, 2004. He was buried at the Brigadier General William C. Doyle Veterans Cemetery in Arneytown NJ.