In December of 1887 the Camden Board of Education approved the purchase of land on the east side of Tenth Street at Linden Street “at thirty-five cents per foot” for the purpose of constructing a new school for colored children. Work on the new school did not begin for two years, and it was not until March 3, 1890 that the new school, on the northeast corner of Tenth and Linden was completed and named, appropriately enough, the Linden School. Miss Anna Johntra was appointed the school’s first principal of the boys’ department and Miss Frankie Messler the first principal of the girls’ department. Miss Johntra was appointed principal of both departments in December of 1905, and remained at the helm of the Linden School until her retirement in June of 1916.
The Archive of South Jersey Law School Camden, New Jersey for 1931
The Archive of South Jersey Law School Camden, New Jersey for 1930
The CAMDEN COMMERCIAL COLLEGE INC., a privately owned and operated business college, had opened its doors in the Temple Theater building at 415 Market Street by 1906. George O. Swartz, of Wenonah, was then the school’s president, with Joel O. Swartz of Devon PA serving as the secretary and treasurer of the corporation.
By 1924 the Camden Commercial College had relocated to 323-325 Federal Street, with a rear entrance on Arch Street. The school remained open at this location as late as 1947. By 1956 the school had closed its doors.