SPAN OF A CENTURY, 1828-1928
100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY
Compiled from notes and data collected by Charles S. Boyer, President Camden County Historical Society. Published by Centennial Anniversary Committee of Camden, New Jersey. Additional Photos and Notes by Phillip Cohen in 2003.
Want to see more? Check out the Span of a Century series.
By act of Congress on June 30, 1834, Camden became a Port of Entry in the District of Bridgeton. The several surveyors of the Port were:
|1834 - 1835||Morris Croxall|
|1835 - 1839||Jesse Bullock|
|1839 - 1841||Morris Croxall|
|1841 - 1843||Philip J. Gray|
|1843 - 1849||Charles S. Garrett|
|1849 - 1853||Philip J. Gray|
|1853 - 1858||Isaac W. Mickle|
|1858 - 1861||Thomas B. Atkinson|
|1861 - 1867||Dr. Sylvester Burdsall|
In 1867 Camden was put in the Philadelphia District in charge of an Assistant Collector.
|1867 - 1875||Philip J. Gray|
|1875 - 1881||W. P. Robeson|
|1881 - 1886||Davis S. Heyl|
|1886 - 1890||George D. Borton|
|1890 - 1894||J. Eugene Troth|
|1894 - 1898||David B. Peterson|
|1898 - 1912||Frank F. Patterson, Sr.|
|1912 - 1913||William H. Turnbull|
By an act of Congress passed August 24, 1912, Camden was made Part of the Port of Philadelphia and the office of Assistant Collector at Camden was abolished on June 30, 1913.
You must log in to post a comment.