The Year 1838 – Camden, NJ

SPAN OF A CENTURY, 1828-1928

100 YEARS IN THE HISTORY OF CAMDEN AS A CITY

Compiled from notes and data collected by Charles S. Boyer, President Camden County Historical Society. Published by Centennial Anniversary Committee of Camden, New Jersey. Additional Photos and Notes by Phillip Cohen in 2003.

Want to see more? Check out the Span of a Century series.


The Camden and Woodbury Railroad & Transportation Company, from Camden to Woodbury, was opened to the public January 29, 1838. The first schedule showed trains leaving Woodbury at 7:30 AM, 1:30 PM, and 4:00 PM, and from Camden at 8:30 AM, 2:30 PM, and 5:00 PM. To accommodate a number of stage proprietors, an additional trip was later made, leaving Woodbury at 10:00 AM and arriving at Camden at 11:30 AM with stops at Gloucester Point and at Kaighn’s Point Roads. The rate of fare from Camden to Woodbury was twenty-five cents and from Camden to Westville fifteen cents. The road after numerous “ups and downs” was finally abandoned about 1850.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.