14 Camden Firemen Overcome by Smoke

Philadelphia Inquirer – January 4, 1917

Twelve-Hour Fight Follows Discovery of Smoldering Fire in Wall Paper Plant

Fourteen firemen were overcome by smoke, one of them being removed to Cooper Hospital, and about $20000 in damage was done at a fire at the plant of the Frank G. Hitchner Wall Paper Manufacturing Company, Fifth and Mickle streets, Camden, yesterday. It was not until late yesterday afternoon, after twelve hours fighting, that the flames were subdued, although not at any time was there a burst of flame.

Captain Joseph Maxwell, of No. 1 Truck Company, was taken to the hospital. Fire Chief Peter B. Carter was hurt about the ankle in a slight fall. The other firemen were able to resume their work after being treated by Fire Surgeon Schellinger.

it was some time before three o’clock in the morning that John Wilffon, a watchman, saw the smoke issuing from the kiln. In this building thousands of feet of lumber to be converted into moulding is dried. It is placed on racks six inches apart, and it was because of this that the firemen could not reach the fire.

Pouring from the plant, the water ran into the cellars of nearby dwellings. Considerable damage was done at the home of Mrs. Sallie Gordon, at 215 South Fifth street, and John Orr, 441 Judson street. Others who suffered were Mrs. Mary Brooks, 217 South Fifth street; John Humphries, 445 Steven street, and L. J. Donavan, 434 Mickle Street.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.