Philadelphia Inquirer – February 23, 1901
Policemen and Firemen Make Their Initial Turnout and Present a Creditable Appearance – Reviewed by Officials – How the Departments Have Grown
With a line up that could not be surpassed by the famous “Broadway Squad” of New York, Camden’s policemen, or most of them, turned out in review yesterday. The military carriage of the men excited much and favorable comment, especially among those who were not aware that the men have been drilled every week for a year past by Colonel D. R. Murphy, of the National Guard of New Jersey. The policemen were followed by an array of firemen and a variety of apparatus that made many of the natives gasp in astonishment. Altogether the procession was a revelation to Camden residents who thought hey were well informed about their city.
The procession was headed by Jennings Third Regiment Band. Then came Chief John Foster, of the Police Department, followed by a Blue composed of Police Captains Stanley, Alberts, and Boyle and Sergeant Bentley. Following them under the silken folds of “Old Glory,” which he carried with a steady grasp, was Policeman George A. Donovan, a colored member of the force. Two platoons of forty police men each were lead by Sergeante[sic]Horner and Hyde. The police patrol wagons and the <illegible> ambulance brought up the end of the policemen’s line. The total police force of the city consists of ninety nine men.
The City Band, followed by Chief Samuel S. Elfreth, of the Fire Department. In a carriage, marked the head of the firemen’s line. The seventy-two men of this department were in two sections, the first being led by Assistant Chief Samuel Buzine, of the department headquarters, and the second by Assistant Chief Benjamin Kellum of the East Side. Between the two sections marched the Ivy Fire and Drum Corps. The apparatus in line consisted of six hose carts, five engines, three hook and ladder trucks, two chemical engines and a supply wagon.
The growth of Camden’s police department may be seen by a comparison of the present with the year 1862, when six policemen suffered to protect the entire city, which was then divided in three wards.
In 1876, there were only sixteen policemen in the city and nine regular firemen under one chief. There were, however, thirty extra men subject to call by the chief.