Although he used his involvement in boxing as a front for his other activities, boxing played an important role in Boo Boo’s life. In the late 1920s, he had the largest stable of prizefighters in the nation, and he staged boxing matches for many years at several Philadelphia sites. None of his boxers won a world championship, but several were highly ranked contenders in a period when boxing was a widely popular form of sports entertainment. Boo Boo’s stable of boxers became Max Hoff Inc. in 1928. It was the first group of fighters in the nation to be incorporated.
On November 30, 1927, Jimmie Rodgers arrived in Camden to cut his first professionally recorded records. Three months earlier Ralph Peer, a talent scout for Camden’s Victor Records had traveled south to Bristol VA/TN, seeking some new talent for Victor. Rodgers was the first to be invited back to Camden to record. The Carter Family followed in the spring of 1928.
The firm of F. A. Poth & Sons, Incorporated, of New Jersey, brewers of lager beer, sprang into existence in the year 1910, as the result of a desire on the part of the parent concern, F.A. Poth & Sons, Incorporated, of Pennsylvania to give the people of Camden a Brewery of their own, as a mark of appreciation for the generous patronage it had received for twenty-five years or more.
Camden’s brewery at Fillmore and Bulson Streets was built in 1904 by Joseph Baumgartner. The firm was known as the Camden City Brewery Incorporated until it was acquired by Frederick A. Poth, and operated by F.A. Poth & Sons Inc., a Philadelphia based brewery, in 1910. The plant was then modernized to current standards of the time. The firm was operated F.A. Poth & Sons Incorporated of New Jersey before Prohibition. During the 1920s the brewery came under the control of Philadelphia based bootlegger Mickey Duffy, and was a major source of revenue for him until his murder in 1931. Another crime figure, Edgar “Blondy” Wallace, had an interest in the brewery but apparently was out of the picture by the fall of 1934.
The day was when Gloucester was merely a rendezvous for fisherman and boatmen ; but now it has developed into a growing manufacturing city of eight thousand inhabitants, the various industries employing three thousand hands. The place has churches of all denominations, electric lights, telegraphic, mail, and express facilities. It is desirably located on the banks of the Delaware, facing the southern portion of Philadelphia.
Milton Milan is an american Democratic politician. He was the first Latino mayor of Camden, New Jersey, elected in 1997, before being convicted of corruption and subsequently removed from office, becoming the third Camden mayor in 20 years to be found guilty of corruption.
The CAMDEN COMMERCIAL COLLEGE INC., a privately owned and operated business college, had opened its doors in the Temple Theater building at 415 Market Street by 1906. George O. Swartz, of Wenonah, was then the school’s president, with Joel O. Swartz of Devon PA serving as the secretary and treasurer of the corporation.
By 1924 the Camden Commercial College had relocated to 323-325 Federal Street, with a rear entrance on Arch Street. The school remained open at this location as late as 1947. By 1956 the school had closed its doors.
The City of Camden had a very different look than that of today. In 1914, when the map depicted here was published, the Yorkship Square neighborhood had not been built, and the land was to occupy was part of Haddon Heights, a great part of East Camden was part of Stockton Township, and as the Ben Franklin Bridge had not been built, there was no Admiral Wilson Boulevard. In 1914 the airplane was only two years old, there were no airports, thus no Airport Circle!
THE SEVEN BROTHERS BAKING COMPANY was founded in 1910. In 1916, the seven Canzanese brothers, nephews of the original owner, took over management of the bakery. Under the direction of Vincent Canzanese, the bakery grew and was improved upon year by year. Originally delivering bread and rolls in Camden by horse-drawn wagons, the Seven Brothers Baking Company made the switch to trucks. By the fall of 1936 they were operating a fleet of eighteen vehicles, and were servicing groceries and restaurants over much of South Jersey. That year the Seven Brothers Baking Company introduced a new rectangular, pre-sliced Italian bread, a breakaway from the traditional round loaf.