Skylar served for ten years under the Camden Police Mounted Unit before he was retired as a Rutgers University Mounted Patrol, which is the only student-run mounted unit in the nation. He was a familiar sight all around Camden and in his second career, in and around the Rutgers campus on Penn Street west of North Fifth.
George B. Newton Coal Company
Of all the staple products entering into general consumption none was of greater interest or importance than coal, and in this respect nature has been especially bounteous in bestowing her gifts to the United States. Among the old-established and well-know firms in Camden engaged in this line was Newton Coal on Wright Avenue.
Soldier’s Plots in New Camden Cemetery, as per City of Camden Records
The Parkade Building
The Parkade Building was built in the mid-1950’s on Roosevelt Plaza Park. The project was Mayor George E. Brunner’s solution to the downtown parking issues.
George S. Tempest
George S. Tempest was hired by Camden to run the police and fire departments during the Roaring Twenties and related criminal activity.
Dr. Reyouque E. H. H. Hyghcock
“Doctor” Hyghcock was a “voodoo doctor” and, independent of any police investigations, was a colorful character for Camden, NJ.
Loyal Order of Moose – Camden Lodge 111
In Camden the Loyal Order of Moose sponsored a variety of civic and social activities, including amateur boxing tournaments during the Depression years.
Thomas T. S. Eastlack
THOMAS T.S. EASTLACK, was appointed to the Camden Fire Department in May of 1874 and served until April of 1876.
Firmin F. Michel
After graduation from the South Jersey Law School in Camden, Firmin Michel took a position with Joseph A. Varbalow and also was City Solicitor
Joseph V. O’Connor
Joseph V. O’Connor, aka Joe Connors, was a Camden ship-fitter who was caught up in gang activity and later killed by gunshot.
Haddon Avenue is one of the oldest roads in Camden, dating back to at least 1792 when it became basically a bridle path.