Philip John Carlin Jr., AKA Johnny Toomey, Camden, NJ
Posted in People

Johnny Toomey

JOHNNY TOOMEY was the ring name of Philip John Carlin Jr., one of the three brothers from Camden NJ who fought under the surname Toomey, the others being his older half-brothers Daniel “Danny” Toomey and William “Billy” Toomey. Another brother, Jake Carlin, fought as an amateur, and apparently the Toomey boys’ father had also fought professionally.

Broadway Looking North Camden NJ Showing Court House and Stanley Theatre - Postcard 374
Posted in Banks

Merchants Trust Company

The Merchants Trust was organized in November of 1911. It was a small bank that catered to Camden’s business community, and was one of many small and medium sized banks active in the 1910s and 1920s. From its founding through his death in 1924 the president of the Merchants Trust was Charles Reynolds. He was succeeded in that position by George Frey. E.G. Robinson served as vice-president all through this time. The new bank acquired the house of Casper T. Sharpless at 18 Broadway, and remodeled it for use as a bank. The Merchants Trust opened its doors for business on March 4, 1912.

First Camden National Bank and Trust - 2003-03-16
Posted in Banks

First Camden National Bank & Trust

This bank traces is roots back to June 16, 1812 when Camden’s first bank was incorporated. It was known as The State Bank at Camden, and retained that name until June 2, 1865, at which time it became a National Bank and its title was made The National State Bank of Camden. This bank did business until the late 1920s at the corner of North 2nd and Market Streets. The National State Bank of Camden merged with the First National Bank under the name First National State Bank on July 1, 1922.  

Central Trust Bank Building, 1915
Posted in Banks

Central Trust Company

The Central Trust Company organized on April 9, 1891 at Read’s Hall, a building which later housed the Camden Daily Courier newspaper. After receiving its charter on May 8, the Central Trust commenced business on May 11, 1891. The bank was located at 324 Federal Street until April 1, 1892, and then at 323 Federal Street. The Central Trust Company bank building at 4th & Federal Streets was opened on October 31, 1900. The first president was Abraham Anderson, R.F. Bancroft the first vice-president, and Charles C. Pine the first treasurer. Thomas Nekervis was made secretary-treasurer on April 14, 1892. Montreville Shinn was made assistant Secretary-Treasurer on June 16, 1908, and C. Chester Craig was made trust officer on December 17, 1900.

Posted in Streets

Cooper Street

COOPER STREET is one of the oldest streets in Camden, and is named after the Cooper family. William Cooper was one of the first settlers in this part of New Jersey. Camden was known as Cooper’s Ferries for many years prior to the city being incorporated in 1828.

Linden Elementary School
Posted in Linden School

Linden Public School

In December of 1887 the Camden Board of Education approved the purchase of land on the east side of Tenth Street at Linden Street “at thirty-five cents per foot” for the purpose of constructing a new school for colored children. Work on the new school did not begin for two years, and it was not until March 3, 1890 that the new school, on the northeast corner of Tenth and Linden was completed and named, appropriately enough, the Linden School. Miss Anna Johntra was appointed the school’s first principal of the boys’ department and Miss Frankie Messler the first principal of the girls’ department. Miss Johntra was appointed principal of both departments in December of 1905, and remained at the helm of the Linden School until her retirement in June of 1916.

George Torgun
Posted in People

George Torgun

GEORGE TORGUN was born Gieorgiej Torgun on April 23, 1923 to Grzegorz and Marja Torgun in what is now Worotinici, Belarus.

Posted in Myrtle Avenue

3805 Myrtle Avenue

Posted in Streets

Myrtle Avenue

MYRTLE AVENUE is in East Camden and is actually a continuation of Fremont Avenue, beginning at South 38th Street and continuing east to the city limits at Crescent Boulevard, then carries on into Merchantville, where it ends on Maple Avenue, itself an extension of Camden’s Federal Street. Originally part of Stockton Township, which split into the Borough of Merchantville and the Town of Stockton, Myrtle Avenue appears in the Merchantville section of the 1883 Camden City Directory, then reappears in Camden City Directories beginning in 1896.

Posted in Streets

38th Street

THIRTY-EIGHTH STREET runs south from Jersey Avenue to Camden Avenue in East Camden, crossing Westfield Avenue and High Street., then picks up again for one block between Federal Street and Fremont Street.

Stock photo of a bar
Posted in Bars and Clubs

Bert’s Cafe

From the 1950s through the early 1970s the bar at 1226 Broadway was known as Bert’s Cafe. It had formerly been known as Buradine’s, and the proprietor at that time was Michael Burgo. By 1959 the bar had changed hands, Bert Bottura being the proprietor, and, appropriately enough was called Bert’s Cafe.

The Clock above Camden's 1876 City Hall. This building was in use until the present City Hall was finished in late 1930.
Posted in Historical Accounts

The Clocks Atop City Hall

The first clocks appeared above City Hall in 1876. Camden’s new City Hall opened early that year, although the clock was not yet in place. The first town clock in the tower of the City Hall was placed in position in May of 1876. It cost $3,575, and rang out the hours for the first time on May 26, 1876.