Political Organization. — The Republicans of Camden have organized a Ward Association for South Ward, adopted a Constitution and By-laws, and elected the following gentlemen as officers: — President, J. Kelley Brown; Vice Presidents — James H. Townsend, Samuel M. Gaul, William Wiatt, John Stevens; Recording Secretary, Charles P. Capewell; Corresponding Secretary, J. H. Morris; Treasurer, Thomas A. Wilson; Executive Committee – Christopher J. Mines, H. S. Bender, A. J. Morris, S. M. Gaul, James R. Kerns, Charles Wood, A. D. Nichols, Edward Cline, George G. Bundick. The Association contemplate building a fine hall.
A bill has been introduced into the New jersey Legislature authorizing the establishment of a fund for the relief of indigent and disabled firemen in Camden, and their families, if in necessitous circumstances. The following gentlemen are named in the bill as trustees: Samuel Hufty, Robert S. Bender, Jacob Daubman, William Abels, James W. Ayers, Frank B. Holt. These gentlemen represent the different companies composing the Camden Fire Department.
On June 7, 1866 Camden’s City Council enacted an ordinance reorganizing the volunteer fire service to improve efficiency in operations. This ordinance provided for increased compensation to the fire companies (Weccacoe and Independence got $800 per annum to be paid quarterly, the Weccacoe and Shiffler Hose companies and the United States Fire Company received $200 annually). The volunteer fire companies were also directed to select a Chief Fire Marshal and three Assistant Marshals, one from each district. The selections were subject to approval by Council. The new department was called “The Fire Department of the City of Camden”. In protest of this ordinance the New Jersey Fire Company No.4 withdrew from the new, organized volunteer department.
A great Union meeting was held in the Court House in April of 1861. John W. Mickle, for whom Mickle Street and Boulevard was named, presided and resolutions were adopted calling on the Board of Freeholders and City Council to appropriate money for the equipment of persons who might volunteer in defense of the country. The first official tender of a company of uniformed and drilled militia was that of the Camden Zouaves made to the Governor on April 18,m 1861. The Stockton Cadets, Captain Edward G. Jackson and the Zouaves, Captain John R. Cunningham, were also mustered into the service, the cadets becoming a part of Company A and the Zouaves a part of Company G, Fourth Regiment.
The First Presbyterian Church effected a permanent organization on June 25, 1846. The West Jersey Presbytery had organized the church on September 27, 1840, but owing to a lack of funds to build a church edifice the project was temporarily abandoned in December of 1841.
The first election in New Jersey of Members of Congress by Congressional Districts, instead of at large, was held in 1843. The First District comprised Cape May, Cumberland, Salem, Gloucester, and Atlantic Counties. Camden County had not yet been created, and was still a part of Gloucester County.