FRANCIS J. "FRANK" McLAUGHLIN was born in Camden, New Jersey on July 11, 1900 to William McLaughlin Sr. and his wife the former Margaret Maguire, most likely at 1165 Ross Street, where the family had been living when the Census was taken on June 4. Ross Street was a short street that ran from Orchard Street to Louis Street, between Mt. Vernon and Chestnut Streets, near the Camden Pottery plant, known in later years as the Reliable Tire buildings. William McLaughlin then worked as a day laborer.
Frank McLaughlin was the fourth child born to the couple, coming after William Jr., Albert, and Daniel. Another son, Cornelius "Neal" McLaughlin came later. The 1908 City Directory has them at 868 Bulson Street, the 1909 edition shows them at 545 Jackson Street in what was then Camden's Eighth Ward. The 1910 Census also shows the McLaughlins at 545 Jackson Street. The Directories from 1912 through 1916 show the McLaughlin family at 1629 Fillmore Street. By 1917 they had moved to 2003 Arlington Street, a one-block Street that ran south from Winslow Street to Chelton Avenue, adjacent to the Howland Croft and Son Company textile mill. William McLaughlin Sr. was working as a janitor in one of Camden's shipyards. He passed away shortly after the 1923 City Directory was compiled
Frank McLaughlin and his younger brother Neal McLaughlin were both well known as amateur boxers. Neal won the amateur welterweight title in a 1926 tournament sponsored by the Camden Evening Courier. Frank McLaughlin was also a member of the Emerson Athletic Association, which sponsored teams and events from 1908 into the 1920s.
Last a resident of 2003 Arlington Street, Frank McLaughlin passed away on June 2, 1932. After services at the Church of the Sacred Heart, he was buried at Calvary Cemetery in Delaware Township (present-day Cherry Hill), New Jersey. He was survived by his mother and brothers William Jr., Daniel, Albert, and Neal. The McLaughlin family lived at 2003 Arlington Street as late as 1940.
Albert McLaughlin's son, Rev. Francis J. McLaughlin, was ordained as a Catholic priest in 1962. He passed away in 1997 and was also buried at Calvary Cemetery, as were his parents. Brother Neal was involved in boxing in and around Camden for many years. He moved to Ohio in the 1960s, passing away there in 1969.
No post found!