Stephen Parsons

STEPHEN PARSONS came to Camden in 1844. He operated a hotel at Federal Street and Front Street, near the Federal Street Ferry with partner Richard Cake which was known as Woolston's Hotel. During the time the partners operated the establishment, until 1853, the Camden Mutual Fire Insurance Company held its Director's meetings at Parson's Hotel. Stephen Parsons bought out Richard Cake around 1854, and the establishment came to be known as Parson's Hotel. The Camden Insurance Safe Deposit & Trust Company, which was chartered in April of 1873, opened its subscription book at Parsons Hotel on May 31, 1873.

Stephen Parsons operated successfully there until 1882, when the building was demolished. After engaging briefly in a similar venture in Atlantic City, he returned to Camden and by 1884 had leased the West Jersey Hotel, at Market and Delaware Avenues, near the Market Street Ferry.

Stephen Parsons was still operating the West Jersey Hotel when the 1890-1891 Camden City Directory was compiled. He passed away on August 29, 1890 at the age of 69, and was buried at Evergreen Cemetery in Camden. His widow, Emma Parsons passed away in May of 1899, as reported in the May 23rd edition of the Trenton Times.

Stephen Parson had been active as a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.

Related Photos

Related Articles

View of Hotel Ridgway - Southeast corner of Market Street & Delaware Avenue - 1914

Hotel Ridgway

The West Jersey Hotel at Delaware Avenue and Market Street was built by the West...
Read More

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.