Line Street

LINE STREET was named because it followed the finally settled line of division between the Cooper and Kaighn properties. It was originally laid out as a twenty foot alley, but in 1848 was made a street fifty foot wide. In 1848, when the city charter was amended by the State legislature, Line Street became the boundary between the Middle and South wards, Arch and Federal Streets serving as the boundary between the Middle and North Wards. Line Street is not to be confused with Liney Ditch, also known as Little Newton Creek and Kaighn’s Run, which served as the southern boundary of the South Ward. In time, under the encroachments of settlers and the march of industrial progress, the stream began to fill up and became merely a ditch, to which, by common consent, the name Line Ditch was given, as it also served to divide the lands of the Kaighn and Mickle families.


Related Photos


Related Articles

The Second Convention Hall postcards from 1900s-1910s. The building was then known as the Third Regiment Armory.

Convention Hall

Camden has had two buildings known as Convention Hall, which can get a bit confusing,…
Read More
Charles A. Aceto

Charles A. Aceto

CHARLES ANGELO ACETO was born in Italy on April 16, 1891 and came to America with…
Read More
Royden Street

Royden Street

Royden Street, in Camden, NJ, was named in honor of William Roydon, a grocer from…
Read More
1 2

1 thought on “Line Street

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.