Royden Street

ROYDEN STREET, which was improperly spelled on the city plan, was named in honor of William Royden, who in 1681-82 became the owner of all the land between the present Cooper Street and Line Street.

William Roydon was originally a grocer from London, England. He had apparently been interested in the development of the New Jersey colony as early as 1676, six years before his arrival in America. One of the largest landowners in West Jersey, he was selected to be a member of the first Council of Proprietors. When it was decided that regular ferry service should be established between Camden and Philadelphia, William Roydon was selected and granted an exclusive license to conduct ferry business between the Newton and Cooper’s Creek.


Related Articles

Bernard Abraham Ahlberg, 1924

Bernard A. Ahlberg

BERNARD ABRAHAM AHLBERG was born September 18, 1858, in Sweden. He came to America at…
Read More

3 thoughts on “Royden Street

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.