The Zuni Athletic Association sponsored semi-pro sports teams as early as the spring of 1930 and into the early 60s. It appears to have founded in that year. Founding members included Peter Barbalace, Pasquale "Pat" Barbalace, Emil Aceto, John LaPlaca, and Jack O'Neil.
HARRY C. ANDERSON was born in April of 1873 to Isaac Anderson and his wife, the former Sarah Madison. The family was living at 810 Kimber Street in North Camden when the census was taken in 1880.
On December 3, 1904 Harry C. Anderson was appointed to the Camden Fire Department. He was then living with his wife, the former Margaret A. Cummisky, at 1147 Federal Street. He reported for duty on July 1, 1905.
On September 1, 1909 Harry Anderson was promoted to Lieutenant and transferred from Engine Company 5 to Ladder Company 1, whose captain at the time was Joseph Maxwell.
Making the Supreme Sacrifice in the line of duty, Harry Anderson died from internal injuries suffered when a trolley car crashed into Ladder Company 1's apparatus at North 4th and Arch Streets on April 15. He was taken to Cooper Hospital, where he died on May 4, 1916. He was buried at Harleigh Cemetery.
MRS. AMANDA ALLOWAY was born in New Jersey in November of 1843, according to the 1900 Census. By 1863 she had married Joseph Alloway. A son, Charles Alloway, was born in December of 1863. Another son, Joseph came November 22, 1865, and there was also a daughter, Ida May, was born around 1867. By the time the Census was taken in 1870 the Alloways had moved to Gloucester City, New Jersey. The 1872 City Directory shows the family at 901 North Front Street in North Camden. The 1878 City Directory shows them at 8 Pine Avenue in South Camden. The 1880 Census shows Joseph and Amanda Alloway and their three children still living on Pine Avenue, which was renamed Clare Street shortly thereafter. This street is one block long, running from Pine Street south to Division Street between South 3rd and South 4th Streets. Joseph Alloway worked as a carpenter. The 1890 and 1896 City Directories show Joseph and Amanda Alloway living at 510 Division Street. The 1898 City Directory shows that Amanda Alloway was now a widow.
GEORGE H. ALECK was born in Pennsylvania around 1860 to George and Christina Aleck. His family had moved to Camden by 1880, making their home at 523 North 4th Street in North Camden. He worked as a machinist at the time of the census. The Aleck family included two daughters in their twenties at the time, Amelia and Theresa. By 1887 George H. and Theresa Aleck were operating a dry goods business at 523 North 4th Street in North Camden.
A bachelor for most of his life, George H. Aleck married at the age of 62. At the time of the 1930 census he resided with his wife, Helen, at 23 East Stiles Avenue in Collingswood. He still owned the property at 525 North 4th Street in February of 1933, when it was acquired by the Delaware River Bridge Commission in order to complete the Fourth Street tunnel beneath the bridge.
FRANK A. "CHICK" ABBOTT was born June 2, 1896 in Camden NJ to Italian parents, Antonio and Arsola Abbatto. An athletic youth, he enjoyed boxing, and considered boxing, but did not turn pro. He received several minor league contract offers, but elected to stay close to home, and stuck to semi-pro ball with several clubs in and around Camden. By 1915 he had married Florence Smith, and had fathered two of his eight children. He was then working as a plasterer in the home construction industry, a common trade in the days before the manufacture of sheet rock. The Abbott family then lived at 919 South 4th Street in Camden, they later moved to a home at 346 Cherry Street in what was then Camden's 5th Ward. Frank Abbott would reside in this home the rest of his life.
While you can drive a car under the Ben Franklin Bridge at street level from North 3rd Street east, at 4th Street there is a tunnel, closed in the early 1980s, that provided amusement for generations of local kids on bicycles, and aggravation for most adults responsible for public safety. At 5th Street there is a pedestrian tunnel, which is still in use.
Police today are investigating the possibility that three fires Wednesday within a quarter-mile area inside of three hours and 46 minutes were the work of a firebug.