Tag: Camden National Bank

First Camden National Bank and Trust - 2003-03-16
Posted in Banks

First Camden National Bank & Trust

This bank traces is roots back to June 16, 1812 when Camden’s first bank was incorporated. It was known as The State Bank at Camden, and retained that name until June 2, 1865, at which time it became a National Bank and its title was made The National State Bank of Camden. This bank did business until the late 1920s at the corner of North 2nd and Market Streets. The National State Bank of Camden merged with the First National Bank under the name First National State Bank on July 1, 1922.  

1919 Camden High School Yearbook Ad for Camden National Bank - Camden NJ History
Posted in Historical Accounts

Camden National Bank Advertisement, 1919

The Camden National Bank

Camden National Bank, 2003-11-22
Posted in Historical Accounts

The Camden National Bank

ONE of the chief elements in the material growth and progress of a community is the banking interest, and in this department of business, Camden boasts of several vigorous corporations, one of the most important being the Camden National Bank, located at Second street and Kaighn avenue. It was incorporated as a national bank in 1885, in order to provide…

THE CAMDEN NATIONAL BANK. — A movement was made shortly after the passage of the National Bank Act toward establishing a bank in the southern part of Camden, but the project was abandoned. A few years later the Gloucester Savings Institution opened a branch office on Kaighn Avenue, which it maintained til the time of its failure, 1884. In 1885 the subject of establishing a National Bank on Kaighn Avene was again discussed. Isaac C. Martindale, who had many years experience in the banking business, became interested in the movement, and Zophar C. Howell, president of the Kaighn's Point Ferry Company, and others gave the project encouraging support. Application was made on May 30, 1885, to the comptroller of the currency for authority to organize and establish "The Camden National Bank," with a capital of one hundred thousand dollars, with the privilege of increasing it to two hundred thousand dollars. The necessary permissions having been received, a call for public meeting to promote the enterprise, signed by John Cooper, Henry B. Wilson, Howard M. Cooper, William B. Mulford, Zophar C. Howell and Isaac C. Martindale, was issued and the meeting held at the office of the Kalghn's Point Ferry Company June 13, 1885, when more than one-fourth of the capital stock was subscribed. A committee then appointed ta solicit further subscriptions reported, at a meeting hold July 6th, that the full amount ($100,000), had been subscribed. The articles of association and the organization certificate were executed, and a meeting of the stockholders held on July 20th, when the following-named persons were elected as the first Board of Directors: Zophar C. Howell, Henry B. Wilson, Charles B. Coles, James Davis, Isaac C-Toone, George W. Bailey, George T. Haines, Irvine C. Beatty, John Cooper, William B. Mulford, Philip H. Fowler, Charles E. Thomas, Harry B. Anthony, Howard M. Couper, Zophar L. Howell, Herbert C. Felton, Rudolph W. Birdsell. William W. Price, is teller at Philadelphia office; Charles P. Martindale, receiving teller at the bank; Lewis Mueller, bookkeeper.
Posted in Historical Accounts

History of Camden County, New Jersey

A movement was made shortly after the passage of the National Bank Act toward establishing a bank in the southern part of Camden, but the project was abandoned. A few years later the Gloucester…

Camden National Bank, 2003-11-22
Posted in Banks

Camden National Bank

Established in 1885, the Camden National Bank opened at 259 Kaighn Avenue on August 13, 1885. Zophar C. Howell was the first President. One of the founders, and an early vice-president was Henry B. Wilson, for whom the H.B. Wilson School at South 9th & Florence Street is named, and whose son was Admiral Henry Braid Wilson Jr., for whom the boulevard is named. Another of Wilson’s son, Philip Wilson, worked for the bank for many years. Other founders included Howard M. Cooper and Isaac C. Toone.

Camden Trust Building, 2003
Posted in Banks

A history of banking in Camden, NJ

The Farmers and Mechanics Bank was organized with a capital of $300,000 on March 31, 1855. The banking house at the southeast corner of Front and Market Streets was built at the cost of $18,000. This institution was conducted as a State Bank until September 1, 1864 when it became a National Bank and its title changed to First National Bank of Camden. On July 1, 1922, it merged with the National State Bank under the title of First National State Bank of Camden. The banking house of the National State Bank was used by the combined institutions and the old building of the First National Bank was subsequently sold to the Joseph Campbell Soup Company.

Posted in Historical Accounts

Camden National Bank – Bank Directory 1916

FRANCIS C. HOWELL, President
HERBERT C. FELTON, Vice President
ELIAS DAVIS Cashier

REPORT OF THE CONDITION OF THE Camden National Bank At Camden, in the State of New Jersey, at the close
Posted in News Articles

Camden National Bank – March-December 1915

REPORT OF THE CONDITION OF THE Camden National Bank At Camden, in the State of New Jersey, at the close of business, March 7, 1916

The contract for the erection of the new banking building of the Camden National Bank, at Broadway and Sycamore street, Camden, has been awarded to J. E. and A. L. Pennock. The building is to be of terra cotta and brick, and the interior is to be finished in white marble. It is to be ready for occupancy January 1, 1906
Posted in News Articles

To Build Camden’s New Bank

The contract for the erection of the new banking building of the Camden National Bank, at Broadway and Sycamore street, Camden, has been awarded to J. E. and A. L. Pennock. The building is to be of terra cotta and brick, and the interior is to be finished in white marble. It is to be ready for occupancy January 1, 1906

The directors of the Camden National Bank will hold a meeting next Wednesday, when arrangements will be made for the erection of the new building at Broadway and Sycamore street.
Posted in News Articles

The Directors of Camden National Bank

The directors of the Camden National Bank will hold a meeting next Wednesday, when arrangements will be made for the erection of the new building at Broadway and Sycamore street.

Suit for $9000 damages was instituted by Lawyer George Bacon yesterday against the Camden National Bank for alleged false arrest of one of his clients.
Posted in News Articles

Suit for $9000 Damages

Suit for $9000 damages was instituted by Lawyer George Bacon yesterday against the Camden National Bank for alleged false arrest of one of his clients.

The Camden National Bank sketch
Posted in News Articles

The Camden National Bank

Through the courtesy of Cashier Martindale, a Post reporter was shown through the bank yesterday. The structure has a substantial and business-like appearance, being built of brick with brown stone trimmings. It fronts on the avenue and sets back a few feet front on the line of the street. On either side of the massive doors are large brass signs, plainly lettered. The interior of the building is fitted up and furnished in an elegant manner, every detail showing the traces of taste and skill. The wood work is in chestnut with brass trimmings, and the desks are of walnut. The front and side floors are handsomely tiled, and that behind the counters is covered with…