GEORGE B. ANDERSON was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on September 18, 1872 as a replacement extra man with Engine Company 2. He took the place of William S. Davis, who had been promoted to Engineer. He resigned on April 20, 1874 after having been appointed to the Police Department from Camden’s Fourth Ward.
ARTHUR ALLEN was born in 1894 at New Gretn NJ. While serving with the United States Army in France during World War I, he volunteered to serve in America’s first tank unit, where he rose to the rank of sergeant, under the command of George D. Patton, who went on to fame during World War II.
HARRY J. ALLEBACH was born in Norristown PA on November 24, 1897. He married Consuelo Elverson around 1917. When the 1920 Census was taken he was living at 2913 High Street in East Camden with his wife and daughter Frances at the home of his widowed mother-in-law. Harry J. Allebach was then working as an electrician at a “car shop,” most likely the railroad car repair shops in the switching yard near his home. Their neighbors at 2919 High Street were Carl and Lulu Kellman. By 1924 Harry and Consuelo Allebach moved down the block to 2931 High Street, remaining at that address as late as 1943. The 1930 Census also shows brother firefighter David Humphries living at 2925 High Street with his wife and young son, future Camden firefighter David W. Humphries. Harry J. Allebach was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on February 1, 1930. He reported for duty at Engine Company 4 on the same day.
here, and came to Camden around 1865. When the Census was taken in 1870, Ernest Albert was keeping a hotel, a term then also to refer to a bar or saloon, at 619 North Front Street in North Camden. By 1880 the family also included older siblings Charles, Pauline, and Yetta, and younger siblings Harry, Louis, and Louis. Ernest Albert was still in business according to the 1888-1889 Camden City Directory, oldest son Charles Albert by then working as a bartender. William E. Albert appears in the City Directory for that year, living on North Front Street, and working for William McDonnell, who was operating a butcher shop at 628 North Front Street.