MYRTLE AVENUE is in East Camden and is actually a continuation of Fremont Avenue, beginning at South 38th Street and continuing east to the city limits at Crescent Boulevard, then carries on into Merchantville, where it ends on Maple Avenue, itself an extension of Camden’s Federal Street. Originally part of Stockton Township, which split into the Borough of Merchantville and the Town of Stockton, Myrtle Avenue appears in the Merchantville section of the 1883 Camden City Directory, then reappears in Camden City Directories beginning in 1896.
THIRTY-EIGHTH STREET runs south from Jersey Avenue to Camden Avenue in East Camden, crossing Westfield Avenue and High Street., then picks up again for one block between Federal Street and Fremont Street.
789 Chestnut Street apparently was a bar before Prohibition. In 1887 and 1888 Philip Barr is listed in the Camden City Directory as operating a saloon at this address. The 1908 directory shows a John A. Gorman, and the 1918-1919 directory reveals that Walter D. Leonard was the proprietor at that time.
Walkathons and Dance Marathons became popular during the Depression years. Promoter W.E. Tebbets set up many of these events all over the country, bringing his own bands and entertainers along to the event. After a successful walkathon at Atlantic City in 1932, Tebbets arranged for a similar contest to be held in the Camden area early in 1933, using one of the hangars at Central Airport as his venue.
Leon Edgar Todd Sr. was born in Camden NJ on November 22, 1893. He operated his real estate agency for many years in Camden at 2623 Westfield Avenue, a building designed by the Camden architectural firm of Lackey & Hettel. Besides handling real estate transactions between buyers and sellers, Leon Todd developed several neighborhoods. One of his most successful projects were the row homes built between Rosedale Street and Westfield Avenue, below North 33rd Street, in East Camden, which were completed in 1925. He also was involved in the fundraising drive that culminated in the building of the Walt Whitman Hotel at Broadway and Cooper streets in 1925.
The Felton and Brown Families, as told to Joan Kaighn by Edward Ross, Sr., 89 years old at his home, 129 Moore St., Lenola, N.J. on March 31, 2004
A true Camden NJ treasure, and a tradition for many throughout South Jersey – both are accurate descriptions of Erlton Italian Bakery, Marlton Avenue and Berkeley Street in East Camden. The business, founded in the mid-1950s, has been a Camden fixture since 1966. East Camden residents have been savoring the aroma of the fresh bread baking in the family owned and operated bakery for decades.
EDWIN FORREST ALLEN was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on October 9, 1872, as a replacement for David B. Sparks, who had resigned. He served as an extra man with the Hook and Ladder Company (present-day Ladder Company 1). He was resigned from his position with the Fire Department on June 30, 1873. He was replaced by John Gray. Edwin F. Allen was on occasion recorded as Edward F. Allen, however, Edwin was his given name.
ARTHUR ALLEN was born in 1894 at New Gretn NJ. While serving with the United States Army in France during World War I, he volunteered to serve in America’s first tank unit, where he rose to the rank of sergeant, under the command of George D. Patton, who went on to fame during World War II.
HARRY J. ALLEBACH was born in Norristown PA on November 24, 1897. He married Consuelo Elverson around 1917. When the 1920 Census was taken he was living at 2913 High Street in East Camden with his wife and daughter Frances at the home of his widowed mother-in-law. Harry J. Allebach was then working as an electrician at a “car shop,” most likely the railroad car repair shops in the switching yard near his home. Their neighbors at 2919 High Street were Carl and Lulu Kellman. By 1924 Harry and Consuelo Allebach moved down the block to 2931 High Street, remaining at that address as late as 1943. The 1930 Census also shows brother firefighter David Humphries living at 2925 High Street with his wife and young son, future Camden firefighter David W. Humphries. Harry J. Allebach was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on February 1, 1930. He reported for duty at Engine Company 4 on the same day.
Charles L. Alcott was the son of Logan Alcott and his wife, the former Elizabeth Ann Bodine. The Alcotts were living in Camden as early as 1854. Logan Alcott was one of the founding stewards of Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church.Logan Alcott was in the coal business. The Alcott family was living at 440 West Street in 1864. By the following year they had moved to 425 West Street. When the Census was taken in 1870, the Alcott family consisted of Logan and Elizabeth Alcott and children William, Emeline, Daniel, Mary, Nicholas, and Charles Alcott. The Alcotts lived next door to Micijah and Emeline Bates. Emeline Bates and Elizabeth Alcott were sisters. George W. Bates, the son of Micijah and Emeline,