On November 30, 1927, Jimmie Rodgers arrived in Camden to cut his first professionally recorded records. Three months earlier Ralph Peer, a talent scout for Camden’s Victor Records had traveled south to Bristol VA/TN, seeking some new talent for Victor. Rodgers was the first to be invited back to Camden to record. The Carter Family followed in the spring of 1928.
MRS. AMANDA ALLOWAY was born in New Jersey in November of 1843, according to the 1900 Census. By 1863 she had married Joseph Alloway. A son, Charles Alloway, was born in December of 1863. Another son, Joseph came November 22, 1865, and there was also a daughter, Ida May, was born around 1867. By the time the Census was taken in 1870 the Alloways had moved to Gloucester City, New Jersey. The 1872 City Directory shows the family at 901 North Front Street in North Camden. The 1878 City Directory shows them at 8 Pine Avenue in South Camden. The 1880 Census shows Joseph and Amanda Alloway and their three children still living on Pine Avenue, which was renamed Clare Street shortly thereafter. This street is one block long, running from Pine Street south to Division Street between South 3rd and South 4th Streets. Joseph Alloway worked as a carpenter. The 1890 and 1896 City Directories show Joseph and Amanda Alloway living at 510 Division Street. The 1898 City Directory shows that Amanda Alloway was now a widow.
EDWIN FORREST ALLEN was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on October 9, 1872, as a replacement for David B. Sparks, who had resigned. He served as an extra man with the Hook and Ladder Company (present-day Ladder Company 1). He was resigned from his position with the Fire Department on June 30, 1873. He was replaced by John Gray. Edwin F. Allen was on occasion recorded as Edward F. Allen, however, Edwin was his given name.
WILLIAM ALCOTT was born in New Jersey around 1848. He was the son of Logan Alcott and his wife, the former Elizabeth Ann Bodine. The Alcotts were living in Camden as early as 1854. Logan Alcott was one of the founding stewards of Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church.
Charles L. Alcott was the son of Logan Alcott and his wife, the former Elizabeth Ann Bodine. The Alcotts were living in Camden as early as 1854. Logan Alcott was one of the founding stewards of Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church.Logan Alcott was in the coal business. The Alcott family was living at 440 West Street in 1864. By the following year they had moved to 425 West Street. When the Census was taken in 1870, the Alcott family consisted of Logan and Elizabeth Alcott and children William, Emeline, Daniel, Mary, Nicholas, and Charles Alcott. The Alcotts lived next door to Micijah and Emeline Bates. Emeline Bates and Elizabeth Alcott were sisters. George W. Bates, the son of Micijah and Emeline,
BERNARD ABRAHAM AHLBERG, former captain of industry, of Camden, New Jersey, and leader in all its departments of life, was born September 18, 1858, in Sweden, and died May 24, 1925. His parents were Abraham and Inga (Friedberg) Ahlberg. His father was of Scotch and his mother, of German descent. His father, who was a ship-builder, served in the Swedish Navy in his youth. Both parents are now dead.
Bernard Abraham Ahlberg got little schooling in his boyhood. At the age of fourteen he was bound apprentice to a coppersmith, for whom he worked for three years for a total remuneration of $2.99 per annum and his board. Somehow, he had to clothe himself and pay for his washing during that period and somehow he did it. He also studied. When eighteen years of age he came to the United States, and after spending six months in Brooklyn, New York, went on to Philadelphia, where he obtained employment and remained with the same concern for nineteen years, rising to the position of superintendent and saving his money to such good purpose that in 1902 he was able to go into business with two others in Philadelphia. He dissolved this partnership in 1907, and going to Camden, founded the Camden Copper Works on Fifth Street, at Washington, whence he moved to the present site at Nos. 559-609 South Second Street, in December of 1911. The business was incorporated under the laws of New Jersey in 1912 for $50,000 fully paid, with Mr. Ahlberg as president and manager; Dr. Wesley J. Barrett, secretary, and Walter E. Ahlberg, the founder’s son, as treasurer. These also constituted the board of directors.
BERNARD ABRAHAM AHLBERG was born September 18, 1858, in Sweden. He came to America at the age of 18, and moved to Philadelphia shortly afterwards, where he remained until 1907, when he came to Camden. When the census was taken in 1910 the Ahlberg family owned a home at 569 Royden Street in South Camden. While in Philadelphia he worked and attended Drexel Institute (present-day Drexel University) where he remained a student until he was 44. he came to Camden in 1907, and founded the Camden Copper Works on Fifth Street, at Washington Street. The business moved to 559-609 South 2nd Street, in December of 1911. During his lifetime his business was one of the most successful of its type in America. When the census was taken in 1920 Bernard Ahlberg and family had moved to Collingswood NJ, where they owned a home at 701 Linwood Avenue.
Besides Camden Copper Works, Bernard Ahlberg was active in many, many other business ventures, civic organizations, and fraternal groups, which are detailed in the biography below, published shortly after his death. He passed away on May 24, 1925.
ARCH STREET lays between Federal and Market Street in downtown Camden. At one time, the street ran from Delaware Avenue…
CHARLES ANGELO ACETO was born in Italy on April 16, 1891 and came to America with his father in 1900. He threw himself into his education and into becoming proficient in the English language. He went into the bus and taxi business for himself with one station wagon, and by 1924 was operating a fleet of eight buses, providing regular service between the Market Street ferry and Parkside.
ROBERT T. ABBOTT was born in Salem, New Jersey on March 21, 18689 to Benjamin P. Abbott and his wife, the former Beulah Horner. The family moved to the Wrightsville section of Stockton Township, what is now Camden, in the 1870s. The 1880 Census shows the family consisting of Mr. and Mrs. Abbott, Robert, and his younger siblings William, Flora, and Estella. Another sister, Beulah, born in 1876, had died before the end of the following year. Two more Abbott children were born in the 1880s, James Griffee Abbott and Emma Abbott. The Abbotts made their home at the corner of 24th and Federal Streets in the 1880s. Benjamin Abbott was in business as a commission merchant. By 1885, Robert T. Abbott was working for his father as a clerk.
Thirteen new firemen were sworn in today by Safety Director E. George Aaron in ceremonies at City Hall.