Tag: First Camden National Bank and Trust Company

First Camden National Bank and Trust - 2003-03-16
Posted in Banks

First Camden National Bank & Trust

This bank traces is roots back to June 16, 1812 when Camden’s first bank was incorporated. It was known as The State Bank at Camden, and retained that name until June 2, 1865, at which time it became a National Bank and its title was made The National State Bank of Camden. This bank did business until the late 1920s at the corner of North 2nd and Market Streets. The National State Bank of Camden merged with the First National Bank under the name First National State Bank on July 1, 1922.  

Camden National Bank, 2003-11-22
Posted in Banks

Camden National Bank

Established in 1885, the Camden National Bank opened at 259 Kaighn Avenue on August 13, 1885. Zophar C. Howell was the first President. One of the founders, and an early vice-president was Henry B. Wilson, for whom the H.B. Wilson School at South 9th & Florence Street is named, and whose son was Admiral Henry Braid Wilson Jr., for whom the boulevard is named. Another of Wilson’s son, Philip Wilson, worked for the bank for many years. Other founders included Howard M. Cooper and Isaac C. Toone.

Camden Trust Building, 2003
Posted in Banks

A history of banking in Camden, NJ

The Farmers and Mechanics Bank was organized with a capital of $300,000 on March 31, 1855. The banking house at the southeast corner of Front and Market Streets was built at the cost of $18,000. This institution was conducted as a State Bank until September 1, 1864 when it became a National Bank and its title changed to First National Bank of Camden. On July 1, 1922, it merged with the National State Bank under the title of First National State Bank of Camden. The banking house of the National State Bank was used by the combined institutions and the old building of the First National Bank was subsequently sold to the Joseph Campbell Soup Company.

First Camden National Bank and Trust Co. is celebrating its 130th anniversary today.
Posted in News Articles

First Camden National Bank Celebrating 130th Anniversary

First Camden National Bank and Trust Co. is celebrating its 130th anniversary today.

Posted in News Articles

Catholic Church Benefits In Will

The major portion of a $10,000 and upwards estate is left to religious organizations in the will of Miss Gertrude L. Higgins, of 718 Market Street, which was filed for probate in the office of Surrogate Frank B. Hanna yesterday.

Posted in News Articles

Vocational School to Remain Open

By approving issuance of a $20,000 emergency note, the Camden County Board of Freeholders yesterday afternoon assured continuance of the Camden County Vocational Training School and maintenance of the Agricultural Demonstration Bureau and Home Economic Extension Service until December 31.

Posted in News Articles

Bank Teller is Held for Shortage of $2000

Alleged to have embezzled approximately $2000 from the South Camden branch of the First Camden National Bank and Trust Company, a former teller was held in $3000 bail by U. S. Commissioner Wynn Armstrong yesterday on a Federal warrant.

F. Morse Archer, president of the National State Bank, is to direct the Camden drive for the war work fund. Former Judge William T. Boyle and William J. Strandwitz are the vice chairmen; Walter J. Staats is the treasurer and E. A. Stoll and David S. Rash, Jr., are the directors. The work in Camden city is to be done in six districts and the captains are E. G. C. Bleakly, James H. Long, William L. Hurley, F. B. Wallen, Wilbert Pike and Volney Bennett. Camden county's quota is $227,500.
Posted in News Articles

War Work Director Named

F. Morse Archer, president of the National State Bank, is to direct the Camden drive for the war work fund. Former Judge William T. Boyle and William J. Strandwitz are the vice chairmen; Walter J. Staats is the treasurer and E. A. Stoll and David S. Rash, Jr., are the directors. The work in Camden city is to be done in six districts and the captains are E. G. C. Bleakly, James H. Long, William L. Hurley, F. B. Wallen, Wilbert Pike and Volney Bennett. Camden county’s quota is $227,500.

The Camden Home for Friendless Children -- The committee on collections for the Building Fund, have great pleasure in acknowledging the receipt of the following contributions: Wm. Groves, $50; sundries, by Wm. Curtiss, $20.15; Adams Express Co. by Thomas Fitzgerald, $20; B. F. Davis, $10; F. Bourquin, $10; Thos Fitzgerald, $5; Rufus Hill, $5; John P. Harker, $2; Mrs. L'Esperance, $2, sundries, $3. Others of our friends who have received circulars, or those who may have been omitted unintentionally, but who appreciate this effort, we hope will give to use, speedily, the opportunity of acknowledging the receipt of their offerings to this good and important work. James H. Stevens, Cashier, 1st Nat. Bank, Camden, E. G. Cattell, Merchantville, R. Bingham, 637 Cooper street, Camden; Wm. Curtis, 205 Pearl street, Camden; S. H. Grey, 104 Market street, Camden; Charles Rhodes, Haddonfield; J. D. Reinboth, 207 Cooper Street, Camden, committee.
Posted in News Articles

Camden Home for Friendless Children Fund

The Camden Home for Friendless Children — The committee on collections for the Building Fund, have great pleasure in acknowledging the receipt of the following contributions: