The funeral of William C. Aitken, 87, retired builder, who died Saturday at his home at 421 Penn street, will be held at 2 p.m. Wednesday.
Mr. Aitken was one of the best known builders of his day. He erected more than 200 houses, principally on Cooper street, He built rows on both sides of that street from Ninth to Eleventh streets, He also constructed another, row at Seventh street and Woodland avenue.
He had been a resident of Camden for more than 50 years. He is survived by four sons and two daughters: Edward C., chief engineer for the West Jersey Title and Guaranty Company; Richard C, and Henry W., of Camden, and William J., of Chicago; Mrs, Isabelle Shedaker, of Camden, and Mrs. Lydie R. Brooks, of Contra Costa, California. He is also survived by nine grand children and-two great grandchildren.
He was the husband of the late Elizabeth C. Aitken. Mr. Aitken was a member of First Presbyterian Church. Rev. Augustus D. Whitney, Jr., pastor, will have charge of the services and burial will be in Locustwood Cemetery
Chief of Police John Foster, Captains Stanley, Boyle and Alberts, seventy policemen and Colonel D. B. Murphy, the police drill instructor, marched in a body from the Third Regiment Armory in Camden to Broadway M. E. Church last evening to attend divine service. A number of city firemen, trolley conductors and motormen were also in attendance. The pastor, Rev. James W. Marshall, D. D. preached on “Immortality?
The First Presbyterian Church effected a permanent organization on June 25, 1846. The West Jersey Presbytery had organized the church on September 27, 1840, but owing to a lack of funds to build a church edifice the project was temporarily abandoned in December of 1841.