GEORGE H. ALECK was born in Pennsylvania around 1860 to George and Christina Aleck. His family had moved to Camden by 1880, making their home at 523 North 4th Street in North Camden. He worked as a machinist at the time of the census. The Aleck family included two daughters in their twenties at the time, Amelia and Theresa. By 1887 George H. and Theresa Aleck were operating a dry goods business at 523 North 4th Street in North Camden.
A bachelor for most of his life, George H. Aleck married at the age of 62. At the time of the 1930 census he resided with his wife, Helen, at 23 East Stiles Avenue in Collingswood. He still owned the property at 525 North 4th Street in February of 1933, when it was acquired by the Delaware River Bridge Commission in order to complete the Fourth Street tunnel beneath the bridge.