Tag: Hook & Ladder Company

From Left: tillerman Bill Tatem, firemen Edward Finley, Charles Gladney, and Harry Green, Lt. Harry Anderson, Firemen George Hollins and Steward Bakley, Captain Joseph Maxwell, and driver Harry Burroughs

Hook & Ladder Company No 1

From Left: tillerman Bill Tatem, firemen Edward Finley, Charles Gladney, and Harry Green, Lt. Harry Anderson,
Firemen George Hollins and Steward Bakley, Captain Joseph Maxwell, and driver Harry Burroughs

Edwin F. Allen

EDWIN FORREST ALLEN was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on October 9, 1872, as a replacement for David B. Sparks, who had resigned. He served as an extra man with the Hook and Ladder Company (present-day Ladder Company 1). He was resigned from his position with the Fire Department on June 30, 1873. He was replaced by John Gray. Edwin F. Allen was on occasion recorded as Edward F. Allen, however, Edwin was his given name.

Charles H. Allen

CHARLES H. ALLEN was born in New Jersey in 1847 to Mary and William H. Allen. His father was in the tin roof business, and later opened op a shop where sold stoves, heaters, and ranges. The Allen family was living in Camden’s South Ward when the census was taken in 1850, in the North Ward in 1860. He was one of three children, coming after Emma and before Caroline. Charles H. Allen married in the 1860s. When the Census was taken in 1870 he was living with his wife Emma and children Maggie and William in Camden’s South Ward. He worked as a tinsmith, most likely for his father. The 1870s do not appear to have been good to Charles H. Allen, as his wife and children were not living with him when the 1880 Census was enumerated. He had remarried, and was living at his father’s shop at 8 Market Street with his wife Ann and children Charles Jr. and Rosanna. Another son, William H. Allen, was born in May of 1883. 

William Alcott

WILLIAM ALCOTT was born in New Jersey around 1848. He was the son of Logan Alcott and his wife, the former Elizabeth Ann Bodine. The Alcotts were living in Camden as early as 1854. Logan Alcott was one of the founding stewards of Broadway Methodist Episcopal Church.

Photo taken 5-20-1871 in front of the Friendship Engine & Hose Company No.1 of Chambersburg, PA. The steam engine on the right has just arrived after being purchased from Millville, N.J. This apparatus was originally purchased by the Independence Fire Company No.3 of Camden in June 1864. It was a class two Amoskeag steamer bearing serial No. 92. Independence sold the apparatus to Millville in 1869.

Inception of the First Paid Fire Department in the US

On June 7, 1866 Camden’s City Council enacted an ordinance reorganizing the volunteer fire service to improve efficiency in operations. This ordinance provided for increased compensation to the fire companies (Weccacoe and Independence got $800 per annum to be paid quarterly, the Weccacoe and Shiffler Hose companies and the United States Fire Company received $200 annually). The volunteer fire companies were also directed to select a Chief Fire Marshal and three Assistant Marshals, one from each district. The selections were subject to approval by Council. The new department was called “The Fire Department of the City of Camden”. In protest of this ordinance the New Jersey Fire Company No.4 withdrew from the new, organized volunteer department.