A centennial review: the year was 1927 and the future had hardly ever looked brighter for the City of Camden. Times were prosperous, business and industry were booming, and the city was full of recently constructed public buildings, civic improvements, schools, the new Delaware River bridge and its new highway to the suburbs. The stock market crash of 1929 and the Depression that followed were in the unimagined future.
Organized March 8, 1916, the Camden County Real Estate Board was incorporated May 10, 1916, with eight charter members. Its growth has been rapid and continuing until today it numbers 100 active members, 3 junior members and 70 associates.
In the late 1920s, Medford Lakes was a vacation community in the New Jersey pines, some 18 miles southeast of Camden. One of its prominent citizens, Leon Todd, believed that a golf course was needed in order to provide residents and summer visitors with a complete range of recreational and sporting opportunities. In 1929 the Medford Lakes Development Company acquired the 115-acre Shrider farm. Alex Findlay, scarcely an unknown quantity in southern New Jersey, was brought in to lay out nine holes. His skillful use of both water and trees gave the course, though on the short side and with few changes in elevation, both interest and charm. It opened for play in 1930.
LEON EDGAR TODD—Substantial reasons for Camden’s continuous growth and advancement in recent years, are furnished in the development of the real estate plans of Leon E. Todd, one of the city’s most prominent realtors and builders in South Jersey, whose extensive general brokerage business and building interests have aroused State-wide attention.
Leon Edgar Todd Sr. was born in Camden NJ on November 22, 1893. He operated his real estate agency for many years in Camden at 2623 Westfield Avenue, a building designed by the Camden architectural firm of Lackey & Hettel. Besides handling real estate transactions between buyers and sellers, Leon Todd developed several neighborhoods. One of his most successful projects were the row homes built between Rosedale Street and Westfield Avenue, below North 33rd Street, in East Camden, which were completed in 1925. He also was involved in the fundraising drive that culminated in the building of the Walt Whitman Hotel at Broadway and Cooper streets in 1925.
Seated, left to right: Leon E. Todd, general chairman of the show committee, past president of the Camden County Real Estate Board, which is sponsoring the effort, and past president of the New Jersey Association of Real Estate Boards, and George B. Underwood, assistant state director of the Federal Housing Administration; standing, left to right: J. Clifford Vaughn, FHA director for Camden county and associated with the Camden County Better Housing Committee, and C. Armel Nutter, president of the real estate board. The show will be held in Convention Hall September 19 to 26.