In December of 1887 the Camden Board of Education approved the purchase of land on the east side of Tenth Street at Linden Street “at thirty-five cents per foot” for the purpose of constructing a new school for colored children. Work on the new school did not begin for two years, and it was not until March 3, 1890 that the new school, on the northeast corner of Tenth and Linden was completed and named, appropriately enough, the Linden School. Miss Anna Johntra was appointed the school’s first principal of the boys’ department and Miss Frankie Messler the first principal of the girls’ department. Miss Johntra was appointed principal of both departments in December of 1905, and remained at the helm of the Linden School until her retirement in June of 1916.
There was a lively time at the meeting of the Camden Board of Education last night. It was caused by the increasing of the janitors’ salaries, which was done after a debate of nearly an hour. The Property Committee was instructed to advertise for bids for a new school house at Tenth and Linden streets, the cost of which is not to exceed $15,000.