Tag: New Camden Cemetery
New Camden Cemetery
New Camden Cemetery opened in 1887, as Old Camden Cemetery, between Mount Ephraim and Haddon Avenues north of Mount Vernon Street, was approaching capacity. The City of Camden owns and is responsible for maintaining both cemeteries.
Soldier's Plots in New Camden Cemetery, as per City of Camden Records
Thomas T. S. Eastlack
THOMAS T.S. EASTLACK, was appointed to the Camden Fire Department in May of 1874 and served until April of 1876.
ALTER BARBELL was born in Pruzany, in what was then Russia on January 24, 1877. He came to the via Hamburg aboard the Hamburg-American line steamship Phoenicia, arriving at Ellis Island, New York on February 28, 1902. He was joined by his wife Dora and sons Myer and Elmer in 1904. The Barbell family was living in South Philadelphia when the 1910 Census was enumerated, and another child had been born there, a son named Israel, by then. Shortly after the 1910 Census was taken, the family had moved to 327 Liberty Street in Camden, where daughter Rose Lillian Barbell was born in 1911. Camden's first synagogue, generally referred to as the Lichtenstein Shul as its main patron was local businessman Abraham Lichtenstein, was on this block, and it very well may have been through Lichtenstein's influence that Alter Barbell moved to Camden. Alter Barbell had come to America as a tailor, but it was not long before he began working as a Hebrew teacher, the occupation he is best remembered for.
New Camden Cemetery Purchase
At a meeting of the trustees of the Camden Cemetery last night the special committee appointed to secure a new burial ground recommended the purchase of the land opposite to Evergreen Cemetery, at $700 per acre.
The Year 1836 - Camden, NJ
The Camden Cemetery, known in modern times as Old Camden Cemetery, adjoining the Newton Friends' burying grounds, through an action of a town meeting of the Township of Camden, was founded on March 10, 1836. The control was vested in trustees appointed by the township meeting. A plot of ground containing 2.94 acres was purchased from Isaac Cooper for $590.