HARRY C. ANDERSON was born in April of 1873 to Isaac Anderson and his wife, the former Sarah Madison. The family was living at 810 Kimber Street in North Camden when the census was taken in 1880.
On December 3, 1904 Harry C. Anderson was appointed to the Camden Fire Department. He was then living with his wife, the former Margaret A. Cummisky, at 1147 Federal Street. He reported for duty on July 1, 1905.
On September 1, 1909 Harry Anderson was promoted to Lieutenant and transferred from Engine Company 5 to Ladder Company 1, whose captain at the time was Joseph Maxwell.
Making the Supreme Sacrifice in the line of duty, Harry Anderson died from internal injuries suffered when a trolley car crashed into Ladder Company 1’s apparatus at North 4th and Arch Streets on April 15. He was taken to Cooper Hospital, where he died on May 4, 1916. He was buried at Harleigh Cemetery.
GEORGE B. ANDERSON was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on September 18, 1872 as a replacement extra man with Engine Company 2. He took the place of William S. Davis, who had been promoted to Engineer. He resigned on April 20, 1874 after having been appointed to the Police Department from Camden’s Fourth Ward.
MRS. AMANDA ALLOWAY was born in New Jersey in November of 1843, according to the 1900 Census. By 1863 she had married Joseph Alloway. A son, Charles Alloway, was born in December of 1863. Another son, Joseph came November 22, 1865, and there was also a daughter, Ida May, was born around 1867. By the time the Census was taken in 1870 the Alloways had moved to Gloucester City, New Jersey. The 1872 City Directory shows the family at 901 North Front Street in North Camden. The 1878 City Directory shows them at 8 Pine Avenue in South Camden. The 1880 Census shows Joseph and Amanda Alloway and their three children still living on Pine Avenue, which was renamed Clare Street shortly thereafter. This street is one block long, running from Pine Street south to Division Street between South 3rd and South 4th Streets. Joseph Alloway worked as a carpenter. The 1890 and 1896 City Directories show Joseph and Amanda Alloway living at 510 Division Street. The 1898 City Directory shows that Amanda Alloway was now a widow.
ROBERT E. ALLENBACH was the Chief of Police in Camden, New Jersey from 1998 through 2004. The crime rate plummeted during his tenure and the community, he was well respected in the community, but fell victim to the partisan politics that have crippled Camden for much of the past 30 years.
EDWIN FORREST ALLEN was appointed to the Camden Fire Department on October 9, 1872, as a replacement for David B. Sparks, who had resigned. He served as an extra man with the Hook and Ladder Company (present-day Ladder Company 1). He was resigned from his position with the Fire Department on June 30, 1873. He was replaced by John Gray. Edwin F. Allen was on occasion recorded as Edward F. Allen, however, Edwin was his given name.
GEORGE H. ALECK was born in Pennsylvania around 1860 to George and Christina Aleck. His family had moved to Camden by 1880, making their home at 523 North 4th Street in North Camden. He worked as a machinist at the time of the census. The Aleck family included two daughters in their twenties at the time, Amelia and Theresa. By 1887 George H. and Theresa Aleck were operating a dry goods business at 523 North 4th Street in North Camden.
A bachelor for most of his life, George H. Aleck married at the age of 62. At the time of the 1930 census he resided with his wife, Helen, at 23 East Stiles Avenue in Collingswood. He still owned the property at 525 North 4th Street in February of 1933, when it was acquired by the Delaware River Bridge Commission in order to complete the Fourth Street tunnel beneath the bridge.
JOSEPH A. ALCORN was born in Camden, New Jersey in February of 1919 to Mary and William Alcorn. He was the youngest of eight children, coming after James G., William Joseph, Rose, Marie Frances, Thomas J., Genevieve, and Rita. The family came to Camden some time after 1914. By 1918 they had settled at 906 North 9th Street in North Camden, near the Highland woolen mills at North 10th and State Streets. William Alcorn was a foreman at the mill, and his two oldest sons also worked their when they became of age.
here, and came to Camden around 1865. When the Census was taken in 1870, Ernest Albert was keeping a hotel, a term then also to refer to a bar or saloon, at 619 North Front Street in North Camden. By 1880 the family also included older siblings Charles, Pauline, and Yetta, and younger siblings Harry, Louis, and Louis. Ernest Albert was still in business according to the 1888-1889 Camden City Directory, oldest son Charles Albert by then working as a bartender. William E. Albert appears in the City Directory for that year, living on North Front Street, and working for William McDonnell, who was operating a butcher shop at 628 North Front Street.
WILLIAM ABELS was born in Pennsylvania around 1839 to Andrew and Sarah Abels. His family was living in Wilmington in 1850. After leaving Wilmington they moved around the country, residing at times in Camden, Philadelphia, Delaware, and Mobile, Alabama. William Abels began working with volunteer fire companies in around 1853 and helped form the first paid fire company in the United States.
VINCENT ARIEL TYDEMAN was born in New Jersey on August 24, 1883 to Edmund and Sarah Tydeman, who had come to America from England in 1878 with their nine children.
My father, Joseph A. Alcorn, had a used car dealership on the corner of 15th and Federal Streets. He started the business with Skip Gardner as his partner in the late 40’s and bought Skip out during that same period. Alcorn Motor Sales was a vibrant business. I recall visiting Art Sharp and Bill Mason as dad bought and sold cars from and for them as well as the automobiles on his lot.