Tag: Raymond T. Amos

Raymond T. Amos

Raymond T. Amos

RAYMOND T. AMOS was born in Frankford, Delaware on December 28, 1905 to Albert and Catherine Amos. His father was a minister. The family had moved to Camden by the summer of 1910 and taken up residence at 1004 Central Avenue. 

Intersection Crash According to police, the fire apparatus, operated by James Clinton, was traveling north on 2nd st. and collided at the intersection with the tractor-trailer, driven by James FE. Tarburton Jr, 32. of St. John's dr, Wilmington, Dela. The impact of the crash tossed the firemen off the ear step of the fire truck, which was forced over a curb and along a sidewalk for about 35 feet. The vehicle sideswiped two parked ears and knocked down a parking meter. Tarburton was charged with failure to yield the right of way to a fire apparatus. The false alarm was turned in from a box at Poynt and Erie sts.

Four Firemen Suffer Hurts In Collision

Four Camden firemen were among persons injursd over the weekend in motor vehicle accidents on South Jersey roads.

The firemen were injured when their engine collided with a tractor-trailer at 2nd and Market sts. Saturday about 4.30 p.m. while they were on their way to answer an alarm which was false.

Admitted to Cooper Hospital with arm, hip and knee injuries was Orville Goldsboro, 33, of 1730 8. – Sth ee

Released after treatment were August Johnson, 39. of 91642 Chestnut st, who suffered-multi-
ple bruises; Reginald Laws, 36, of 1453 Bradley ave., chest and back injuries, and Capt. Raymond Amos, 52, of 825 Washington st., leg injuries.

A neighbor who ran several blocks Friday night when she saw smoke and flames brought firemen to rescue Samuel Liberetti, 88, of 606 Avon st., near West and Beckett sts, Liberetti was trapped in the cellar by the flames on the stairway and was found by firemen lying semi-conscious on the floor. August Johnson and Orville Goldsboro, of Engine Co. 1, donned oxygen masks and went into the home as Capt. Raymond Amos, of Engine Co. 1, wet them down and extinguished the flames on the stairs so the firemen could effect the rescue. Liberetti was treated at Cooper Hospital for smoke inhalation. District Chief Edward McDowell said the flooring of the first floor, the cellar stairway and a large pile of lumber in the cellar were burned. Mrs, Bertha Alemi, of 602 Avon, st, Was returning from shopping when she saw smoke and flames and heard shouts of help coming from the Liberetti home. She ran to the 4th and Pine sts. firehouse, to sound the alarm, Liberetti's daughter, Theresa, with whom he lives, was at work at the time of the blaze. Engine Co, 2 and Truck Co, 1 came from headquarters with McDowell.

Save Man, 88, In S. Camden Home Blaze

A neighbor who ran several blocks Friday night when she saw smoke and flames brought firemen to rescue Samuel Liberetti, 88, of 606 Avon st., near West and Beckett sts.