Tag: Volney G. Bennett

Memory Stock Photo
Posted in Historical Accounts

Centennial Mirror 1828-1928

A centennial review: the year was 1927 and the future had hardly ever looked brighter for the City of Camden. Times were prosperous, business and industry were booming, and the city was full of recently constructed public buildings, civic improvements, schools, the new Delaware River bridge and its new highway to the suburbs. The stock market crash of 1929 and the Depression that followed were in the unimagined future.

The Hurley Store on Broadway, a great big structure conducted on progressive lines as is proven by the manner in which the buying public bestows its patronage. The Hurley service has become a byword with thousands of South Jersey families. its occupants.
Posted in Businesses

CAMDEN INDUSTRIES

Various industries in Camden, circa 1929

Catholic Stained Glass Stock Photo
Posted in Religion

Religious History of Camden

The religious history of Camden, NJ, from George Reeser Prowell’s History of Camden County, New Jersey, 1886

Central Trust Bank Building, 1915
Posted in Banks

Central Trust Company

The Central Trust Company organized on April 9, 1891 at Read’s Hall, a building which later housed the Camden Daily Courier newspaper. After receiving its charter on May 8, the Central Trust commenced business on May 11, 1891. The bank was located at 324 Federal Street until April 1, 1892, and then at 323 Federal Street. The Central Trust Company bank building at 4th & Federal Streets was opened on October 31, 1900. The first president was Abraham Anderson, R.F. Bancroft the first vice-president, and Charles C. Pine the first treasurer. Thomas Nekervis was made secretary-treasurer on April 14, 1892. Montreville Shinn was made assistant Secretary-Treasurer on June 16, 1908, and C. Chester Craig was made trust officer on December 17, 1900.

Camden Trust Building, 2003
Posted in Banks

A history of banking in Camden, NJ

The Farmers and Mechanics Bank was organized with a capital of $300,000 on March 31, 1855. The banking house at the southeast corner of Front and Market Streets was built at the cost of $18,000. This institution was conducted as a State Bank until September 1, 1864 when it became a National Bank and its title changed to First National Bank of Camden. On July 1, 1922, it merged with the National State Bank under the title of First National State Bank of Camden. The banking house of the National State Bank was used by the combined institutions and the old building of the First National Bank was subsequently sold to the Joseph Campbell Soup Company.

F. Morse Archer, president of the National State Bank, is to direct the Camden drive for the war work fund. Former Judge William T. Boyle and William J. Strandwitz are the vice chairmen; Walter J. Staats is the treasurer and E. A. Stoll and David S. Rash, Jr., are the directors. The work in Camden city is to be done in six districts and the captains are E. G. C. Bleakly, James H. Long, William L. Hurley, F. B. Wallen, Wilbert Pike and Volney Bennett. Camden county's quota is $227,500.
Posted in News Articles

War Work Director Named

F. Morse Archer, president of the National State Bank, is to direct the Camden drive for the war work fund. Former Judge William T. Boyle and William J. Strandwitz are the vice chairmen; Walter J. Staats is the treasurer and E. A. Stoll and David S. Rash, Jr., are the directors. The work in Camden city is to be done in six districts and the captains are E. G. C. Bleakly, James H. Long, William L. Hurley, F. B. Wallen, Wilbert Pike and Volney Bennett. Camden county’s quota is $227,500.

Another move was made yesterday by counsel for Freedom C. Lippincott, the Committee of One Hundred contestant for the Camden City Treasurership, when petitions were presented to Justice Garrison for a regular contest. He granted a hearing in the matter to take place before Judge Miller on July 10. George G. Felton holds the City Treasurership by the narrow margin of eleven majority, which was fixed after a recount of four wards. Now Mr. Lippincott wants the entire vote recounted. The petitioner contests the election on the grounds of mal-conduct, fraud and corruption on the part of some of the members of the Registry Board in one of the wards sufficient to change the result; that illegal votes for Feiton were cast and received, and that legal votes for Lippincott were rejected, and for error in the Board of Canvassers in counting the votes. The petition also sets forth that seventeen ballots for Lippincott were rejected in the First precinct of the Ninth ward because they had the wrong precinct on the back. The most serious charge in the petition is the allegation that fifteen repeaters were taken to the polls by Policeman George Anderson and E. B. McClong and given Felton tickets to vote. Accompanying the petition are affidavits of men who claim Philadelphia as their place of residence and who say they voted in Camden, although they were never qualified voters in the State of New Jersey. The names of the alleged repeaters and the names they voted on are given. Lippincott filed a bond for $300 to carry on the contest, with Cooper B. Hatch and Volney G. Bennett as vouchers.
Posted in News Articles

Serious Charges by Defeated Candidate

Another move was made yesterday by counsel for Freedom C. Lippincott, the Committee of One Hundred contestant for the Camden City Treasurership, when petitions were presented to Justice Garrison for a regular contest. He granted a hearing in the matter to take place before Judge Miller on July 10. George G. Felton holds the City Treasurership by the narrow margin of eleven majority, which was fixed after a recount of four wards. Now Mr. Lippincott wants the entire vote recounted.