THIRTY-EIGHTH STREET runs south from Jersey Avenue to Camden Avenue in East Camden, crossing Westfield Avenue and High Street., then picks up again for one block between Federal Street and Fremont Street.
These pages show the many varieties of beautiful “Air-Lite” and “Air-Wa” homes on the outskirts of Camden. These pictures tell there own story of attractiveness, coziness, and unique fittings. This locality is especially attractive having ideal living conditions, good transportation by bus, trolley, and auto.
Leon Edgar Todd Sr. was born in Camden NJ on November 22, 1893. He operated his real estate agency for many years in Camden at 2623 Westfield Avenue, a building designed by the Camden architectural firm of Lackey & Hettel. Besides handling real estate transactions between buyers and sellers, Leon Todd developed several neighborhoods. One of his most successful projects were the row homes built between Rosedale Street and Westfield Avenue, below North 33rd Street, in East Camden, which were completed in 1925. He also was involved in the fundraising drive that culminated in the building of the Walt Whitman Hotel at Broadway and Cooper streets in 1925.
here, and came to Camden around 1865. When the Census was taken in 1870, Ernest Albert was keeping a hotel, a term then also to refer to a bar or saloon, at 619 North Front Street in North Camden. By 1880 the family also included older siblings Charles, Pauline, and Yetta, and younger siblings Harry, Louis, and Louis. Ernest Albert was still in business according to the 1888-1889 Camden City Directory, oldest son Charles Albert by then working as a bartender. William E. Albert appears in the City Directory for that year, living on North Front Street, and working for William McDonnell, who was operating a butcher shop at 628 North Front Street.
ederal Street was originally called Joseph Cooper’s Lane, and ran from the river to the old Haddonfield Road. In 1803 Joshua Cooper, who was an ardent Federalist, called it Federal Street. His father, Daniel Cooper, had, in 1764, built a large three-story brick house and established a ferry about the same time to Philadelphia. This lane was to provide the farmers in the area a way to get to the ferry.
Restrictions on nightlong parking on principal streets in the business district will be tried out early next year as a major step in a campaign to make Camden a cleaner city in which to live and work.
One man was seriously injured last night when a passenger train and a school bus crashed at the East State Street crossing of the Pennsylvania Railroad.
Sixteen South Jersey girls are competing in a popularity contest which closes tonight at the first annual professional show and dance of Camden Shrine Club in Convention Hall.
Three Camden policemen were injured, one of them seriously, last night, when the First district auto ambulance was struck by a trolley car while responding to a call from 2310 Carman street, where Bodine Stratton, 39 years old, had shot himself over the heart. All were taken to Cooper Hospital.